Chapter Four: The Start of a Journey

The next morning was bright but cold. I awoke before Allistair was up, and I started a small fire in the stone fire square. Stuffing around my stuff I tried to decide what to bring. I'd never gone anywhere quite like this. I pulled out my thick leather backsack, but I was still starring at it--empty-- when a knocking came to my door. I opened it to see Deverell.  

"You ready to go?" he asked.  

"Still packing."  

He noticed the empty sack in my hand. "Good job so far," he muttered sarcastically.  

"Shut up." I padded back to my pile of clothes. I shoved all of my light clothes in the sack. They were followed by the thicker clothes that I owned, and a few cloaks.  

I put my lined coat on over the clothes I was wearing, and tied another cloak around my shoulders. Allistair was waking up just then.  

"Regina?" Do you have to go?" he said sleepily.  

"Yes Allistair. Don't worry, I'll be back." I walked over to our bed and hugged him.  

"Regina! Josephine says to bring your coins and you might find out how they work!" Deverell called from the doorway.  

"Who's that?" Allistair half mumbled half growled.  

"It's just Deverell." Allistair pulled me tightly against his chest and ran his hand through my hair.  

"Goodbye Regina," he sighed.  

"Bye Allistair," I said, and he released me from his grip.  

"What's a coin?" I called to Deverell.  

"Siivlays and brozys," his tone was annoyed. He had always been annoyed that I had so many of the circles.  

"Meitsors too?"I questioned.  

"You have--yeah bring the meitsors too." I had pissed him off big time. Oh well. I grabbed a small fur pouch and put a pile of circles in it. I had about a hand full and a half of meitsors, and a half a hand full of mixed brozys and siivlays. I threw the pouch into my backsack and looped the leather strap over my shoulder.  

"Goodbye my Allistair Marcor! I love you!" I called as I headed back to the door.  

"You ready now?"  

"Yeah," I said, feeling my right forefinger, making sure I was wearing my Keeper's ring. Yep. I could feel the tiny unicorn shaped ring.  

Deverell's horse was outside. He was a lean gray, and was slightly taller than Deverell.  

"What's his name?" I asked.  

"Jeffersthon," Deverell replied as he climbed onto the horse. "Where's your horse?"  

"Well, Howl is mine, but I'm riding Allistair's horse, Black of Night. He's over here." The frost crunched under my feet as I walked over to Black of Night's fence. Cupping my hands together like I was holding a small animal, I blew into them at the thumbs. A whistling noise that sounded somewhat like an owl emerged. I leapt the fence and went over to Black of Night.  

"He doesn't come when he's called?" Deverell asked.  

"He's been ridden once in seventeen years. I'm re-training him," I smiled and vaulted onto the huge black horse.  

"Josephine won't like that," Deverell said, now having to tilt his head up quite a ways to meet my eyes. Black of Night was much taller than Jeffersthon.  

"Don't worry! I've already asked her. Onward!"  

Deverell turned Jeffersthon and trotted off. I urged Black of Night to follow. A snort rose up from deep within the huge horse. First he only refused to go, but then he bucked.