Chapter Seven: Lavetin

As it was, our rooms and our conference room were located in their own separate building of the inn. After the mission description we went back to our rooms to collect what we'd need for the day.  

"I'm not sure how were going to be able to do anything," Serina said.  

"We've got to try." Icy determination sat in my voice as I thought of the unicorns. Serina shrugged. 

Once we were in the room I snagged up my backsack. I pulled out the majority of my clothes, and added my lined coat and a cloak. That left me with those two articles and my small fur pouch of circles. I debated bringing the rabbit pelt, but decided that it hadn't dried enough to trade yet.  

When we got to the main building of the inn Serina floated over to Rathor, and Edelia and I gravitated towards Edgar. Josephine dismissed us with only a nod, and we filed past the innkeeper, out the door.  

The advice Josephine had given me resurfaced. "Excuse me," I said to the innkeeper, he looked up from behind his desk. He was a burly man, covered in toughened skin and fierce facial hair. He made for a good innkeeper, holding looks that made one think twice about messing with him. 

"Yes, m'am?" 

"About the tea your inn keeps in the conference rooms, where did you get it, and what does it trade?" 

His scrutinizing glare narrowed, but didn't hinder his reply. "Little shop run by a young boy. Loc'td right past all a them big shops. I think it's called Miran's. The grandmother passed a while ago. She used to take trade, but I don't know about the boy. His price is five brozys a jar." 

"Okay, thank you," I told him. I ignored his disaproving glares as we passed. It had been clear that he'd thought feve brozys should have been way too much for me to ever handle. I couldn't help but hold back a snigger. 

"What's so funny?" Edelia asked as we walked onto the main road.  

"Oh, nothing," I sighed. So far the men of this town were arrogant snobs. 

Lavetin was an interesting sight. The inn was on the edge of the town, but as we walked--painfully, the cobblestone streets were not made for bare feet--closer to the center of town more and more shops started popping up. Several times we had to vcate the street quickly as a horse would come rushing by. Some of the horses were pulling arriages--a cart-like device that people could ride in. I'd heard of them, but never seen one, or understood one. People should just ride the horse, why waste the time making or trading for the contraption.  

"I'm sick of this," I growled as we dodged yet aontoer carriage. "My feet have never been this cut up." 

"The shop right here sells clothes," Edgar said, "you could get some shoes or something." He walked towards the shop. I sighed and followed. I hated shoes, but here they might be beneficial. I decided to get a pair.  

"Hello!" a cheery fat man greeted us as we entered the store. "What might we be looking for?" His head was topped by balding strawberry-blond hair. 

"I guess I'm here to get a pair of shoes," I told him. My words drew his gaxe away from Edgar, his eyes were surprised. Ugk. Men.  

"What kind?" his cheery voice levened.  

"I'm only going to wear them for a few days while I'm here, but why've got to withstand the damn streets around here." 

The man looked down at my bleeding feet and grimaced. "Follow me." He turned to Edgar as the four of us walked through the store. "Two ladies," he murmured, "nice. One's a little lipy though, better keep her in line."