Chapter 26

"Feonyx." Rose tapped me on the shoulder. "I learned something that might interest you." I turned around.
"What? Is it to do with the League?" She nodded, and motioned for me to come closer.
"I'm not quite sure what this means, but I was in our room a couple of hours ago, and a book caught my eye. It was called Magic on Everitia, which isn't the suspicious part. The book was open to a page about how you can gain power by draining it from another Sorcerer. I don't understand why it was in the room, or what it was for, but it seems like it could have something to do with the League." Rose spoke fast and hurriedly, as if someone else could have been listening, and kept glancing around the room at the other students. "The only people who can access our room are us two and Megan. I'm kind of thinking that Megan is hiding something from us, and it's not going to be good. She could be the spy."
I nearly laughed. "You think it's Megan?" Rose nodded. "It can't be. She's on our side. Right?"
"I'm not sure." There was a deathly serious look on Rose's face, and she sounded grim. "She didn't really say much when you told us about this, and I've seen her leave the room in the middle of the night."
"I'll ask Void. He will have seen anything suspicious in the room. But, I have seen Megan leave quite early too. That can't be for no reason." I paused. "But, that doesn't mean she's evil. She could just like early morning walks, or she just might not be able to sleep." I was wracking my brain for other reasons she would get up so early. She couldn't be working for the League. I refused to believe it.
"Whatever you say, but I still have my suspicions." Rose walked off, leaving me alone. She was firmly set in her belief, and looked a little annoyed. 

📚

"Psst." A quiet noise awoke me from my sleep. "Feonyx." I groaned, and stretched my arms. "Be quiet. I've just seen Megan leave the room, and it's 3 am. You wanna follow her."
"Void," I grumbled. "It's 3 am. I'm so tired." Turning over, I started to go back to sleep, and pulled my duvet up even higher.
"Feonyx, don't you want to find out what Megan is up to?" Void asked. He flew over to me and tugged off my duvet. "Get up."
"Fine." I groaned again, and got out of bed. "Let's go see what Megan's doing at this time in the morning." We started to sprint out of the room, and out into the gardens of the school. 

In all my time at the school, I had never really looked at the gardens, and appreciated them fully. They were beautiful, with flowers of every colour and variety. The paths were a white stone, cracked and slightly dirty, bordered with emerald green hedges that had tiny white flowers peppered throughout. A massive cherry blossom tree rose above the wishing well, its petals floating through the air and landing gently on the ground, creating a pink carpet of flowers. There was a small pond, a load of plants sprouting out of the water, turning it into a lush jungle. I dipped my fingers in the water, which was refreshingly cool, and clear as crystal. Little, tiny fish were nibbling on my fingertips, and their scales were pearly white, reflecting the light of the moon. Stars twinkled in the sky like the eyes of those who watch over us from the heavens.

"Feonyx, stop staring at the gardens, and get a move on. I can see her."
I blinked, and snapped back to reality. Nodding, we began to run again, getting a little closer.

"Just give me a few more weeks, and I'll have it ready. I promise." There was some muffled talking, then Megan spoke again. "I know, and I will. You won't be disappointed." I leant forwards to hear more of what they were saying.
"Already given you plenty of time to put the plan in action. What is taking so long?" The person sounded masculine, and had a deep and foreboding voice.
"Well, my room-mates seem to know something is up, and one of them has the weapon. They won't let it go easily." I was in shock. What weapon? And why does Megan need it. "It will take a bit more time to acquire what we need."
"We are running out of time. We don't have forever. This event only happens every thousand years, so it will likely never come to fruition if you can't do your part. Hurry, or there will be consequences."
"Yes Boss." Megan seemed to swipe though something, and the voice disappeared. She turned this way, and began to walk towards us.

"Absconditus," I whispered, and the spell cloaked us. My heart was thumping in my chest as she got closer and closer. If my spell failed, we were done for.
"What was that?" Megan began to look around, and I didn't dare to breathe. Her gaze was fixed firmly where I was crouched, and it felt like she could see right through my spell. "It must have been the wind." Finally, she left, her footsteps echoing away, and I released the breath I had been holding.
"That was close." Void nodded in agreement, and we made our way back to the dorm, making sure to avoid Megan.

📚

"Rose, you were right," I announced as I walked into the room later that day. Her and Megan were sitting on her bed, playing a game of cards, and they both looked up.
"About what?" She looked confused at what I had said.
"Umm, the Latin homework. You said that it was 'Locus' and I thought that it was 'Vitta' but I asked the professor, and you were correct."
"What Latin homework?" Megan asked, as a genuine question.
"We got some, but your class clearly didn't get any since we have different professors." Megan nodded, seemingly unconvinced with my excuse, and rolled her eyes. "Rose, can I have a word? There's just something I'm a little confused about." I grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the room.

"What is it, and why couldn't you do it in the room? We were playing a game," Rose said, kind of angrily. "What's so secret that our roommate can't know about?"
I recalled our conversation from the other day.

"I've just got a bad feeling about it. That's all. After you told us, I can't stop thinking about it. We are the only ones who know about it, and can stop them. If Megan is working for them, they will know about you, and Void, and you could be in serious danger. What I'm trying to say is that we don't know who is a part of this plan, and we could have very well put everyone in this school at risk. For all you know, I could be in on it, and slowly gaining your trust before betraying you to do whatever it is they are planning. Please be careful, Feonyx."

"It's about Megan. She went out again last night, and we followed her. It sounded like she was talking to someone, about a plan, and she said that one of us two has 'the weapon'. I don't know what she was taking about, or if it's even anything to do with the League, but it looked slightly suspicious, especially since it was at 3 am." Rose listened as I told her the rest of what was said last night, and we began to think.
"From now on, we do not tell anyone but Reef what we are planning. Megan is almost certainly a part of this, and she's already told them about what we know. They can't get any more information." I didn't want to agree with Rose, but it was the safest option. Telling her only meant putting more people in danger.
"But what about the weapon? What could it be?" I asked. "There's nothing but..." It came to me. "Nothing but Void. They're after him. He's needed for the plan."
"So if we can stall until the end of the year, they can't put the plan into action. Or at least, we won't have to worry about it. You heard what they said - a thousand years till it can happen again. By then, we'll be long gone. Even your Grandmother's only been here for 200 years. By the time it next comes around, some Void Sorcerer in the future will have to deal with it. We just can't let Megan get a hold of Void."
What Rose said was true. We had to keep Void away from Megan at all costs.

* Chapter complete, after over a month. But the story is starting to wrap up, and reach the climax, so it shouldn't be too much longer, I hope. *