Chapter 15

The sound of shoes echoed against the polished wooden floor as I stood waiting for my professor to arrive. When he stopped at the door, a groan burst from the students, rippling round the class. Professor Reskeli ushered us in, moving circular cushions into a ring, and we sat down. The class was quickly settled down, and Professor Reskeli began to introduce the lesson.
"Class, this is your second Clarity of the Mind lesson. We have a large agenda for today, with us doing a meditation session and a fortune telling workshop. So let's get started!" His gravely voice rung through the classroom, and our meditation started.
"Close your eyes and imagine you are in a void of nothingness," he began. " There is nothing there but yourself, and your thoughts. Focus on your breathing, in and out, slowly and clearly. As you breathe, imagine a landscape forming around you. This is your safe space, the place where you are calmest. Slow your breathing, and stay in your world for a little bit, before gently bringing yourself back to reality. Take as long as you need, and when you are back, open your eyes into the real world."
The classroom was silent, except for the sound of breathing, and the professor's voice. In my mind, a landscape faded into existence around me - it was in a forest dense with trees, and in front of me was a large lake with azure blue water reflecting the mountains skimming the clouds. Birds flew overhead, and a small cabin with a rowing boat was placed on the edge of the lake. Slowly, I moved over to it, and sat in the boat, quietly whispering, "Aqua Flexuram," to push the quaint vessel along.
As I returned to the real world, the lake faded away, and I was sat in the classroom once more, staring at Professor Reskeli's mustache and bald head. Around me, I could see that the rest of the class was ending their meditation, and soon, everyone had come back into focus.
"So, that was the meditation, now we will start this term's unit - Reading the Future. Get yourselves into pairs," he told us, and soon, we were all set up to start the project. I paired up with Reef, and we shifted our stools closer together.
"Today, we will be doing palmistry to read what our futures hold." The professor set us off on our task, and the room was filled with chatter.
In front of me, Reef held out his hand, and I studied his palm, turning to the textbook to find the meanings.
"Aspire, achieve, leader," I murmured to myself quietly. "Fulfillment of dreams."
Then it hit me. "Reef, you are going to be very successful in life, having a wonderful family, an amazing job, and the home of your dreams!" I told him, watching his reaction change. A small smile appeared on his face and I knew he was happy.
"Ok, it's my turn now," he said, and I held out my hand. He hesitated for a minute after consulting the book, before turning back and telling me my future.
"Here, it says that you will be a great hero and face many challenges, but will have a long and happy life."
I frowned, wondering if he had gotten it correct, but as I was about to ask him, a voice interrupted.
"You should have had enough time to read the future, and we have used up all of the time for our inner eye today. Please return the textbooks to me and head off to your next class."
When the room was empty, apart from the professor and I, I approached him to ask him about what Reef had said.
"Professor," I began, and he looked up. "In class today, Reef told me that I would be a great hero, I was just wondering if you could check for me."
"Hold out your palm for me then," he instructed, and I did as he said. When he looked, his eyes grew wide, and he soon glanced back up. "The boy was correct, Miss Tay. Beware of those who seek revenge. Now go, you don't want to be late for your next lesson."
Before I could respond, he had shooed me out of the room, and closed the door, though I could hear him muttering to himself, and bustling around the space inside. I left the hall, glad to be away from the lesson.

📚

At lunch, I sat under the willow tree with Rose, eating a tuna sandwich.
"I just don't understand. Everyone is telling me to beware of people, and that not everyone is who they seem. I mean, even Professor Reskeli told me to watch out," I told Rose. "What does it mean, and why me?"
She was silent for a bit, pondering what I had just told her. "Well, I think you should heed their advice. If someone tells you to be careful, you should, you don't want to die after all." Rose took a large bite out of her wrap, and stood up, going to the edge of the lake. For a while, she just stood there, enjoying the breeze on her skin, before making her way back over to me.
"Just, consider what they said. Have you ever thought that there could be an actual threat. I don't want you to get hurt, that's all." Then she walked off, leaving me alone on the grass.
I went to stand up after her, but immediately fell down again, and I felt my head pounding. My vision was blurry, and I felt like I was spinning, before, thud. My head hit the ground...

* Cliffhanger! I am so sorry that I've not updated in so long, but I have had terrible writer's block, and haven't had the motivation to write. But I scrapped what I was doing, and here is the next chapter. Again, so sorry, and I'll try to stick to my plan of one a week. Thanks for being patient, and enjoy the rest of the story. *