Chapter 12

Waking up from my sleep, I leapt out of bed, excited for my first day of classes. As always, Megan was already awake and ready, her trousers fluttering in the breeze from the open window.
I grabbed a shirt from my wardrobe, putting it on and tracing the new embellishment. Just as I finished brushing my hair, I heard a groan from Rose's bed and looked over at her getting up and dressing.
"Hey, Head Girl," Rose called in a joking manner, her hair now in a thick plait, secured with a scrunchie and a headband on her head, matching the skirt.
"Morning," I said, walking over to her. "You look amazing!"
She blushed, a pink tint coming to her cheeks. "Well, you look fabulous too," Rose complimented, pointing at the new badge on my top, and I looked down as well.
"We have Latin first, so we can learn what it means," I told Rose. "Have you looked at your timetable yet?"
"Was I meant to?" she asked. I sighed and pushed the door of the room open, walking to the dining room.
Sitting down at a table with Reef, I took the pen out of my pocket and ordered some toast with butter, which soon arrived. Reef barely noticed me till Rose sat down as well, when he looked up and jumped.
"How long have you been here?" he remarked, playfully punching me lightly. It didn't hurt, and I replied, "Long enough to order food." Then I started to eat, finishing not long after Megan arrived. She sat, scribbling furiously on her paper and watching as a plate of rice balls and seaweed appeared in front of her. Soon everyone had finished and we got up, going our separate ways to our first classes.

📚

Waiting outside a classroom for the teacher, me and Rose talked, joining the chatter filling the hallway.
"I'm so excited!" I heard one of my classmates squeal to their friend. Turning around, I saw who it was - a girl with platinum-blond hair and loads of freckles covering her face. I recognised her from the first test, her name was Kara Roberts.
The sound of high heels on the hardwood floor stopped the noise and we all stood in silence as our teacher unlocked the door entering the room, with us soon following. Everyone sat down at a desk, and our teacher stood at the front, waiting for everyone to be ready.
"Welcome to Crescent High," she finally announced. "I am Professor Lerin, your Latin teacher. Today, we will be introducing ourselves in Latin and learning what the school motto is." She clapped her hands and a screen appeared, some words on it. "This is our school motto - Magicae Est Realis. Can anyone guess what it means."
A few hands shot up, the people eager to give the answer. The professor asked the people, no one getting the translation correct.
"It means Magic Is Real," she told us. "Now, lets start the lesson. Salve. Nomen mihi est. Who can tell me the translation of this."
Again, a few hands raised, including Rose's.
"It means Hello. My Name Is," Rose said, getting the answer correct and making Professor Lerin smile.
"Can you now introduce yourself to the person next to you," Professor Lerin told us, and I turned to Rose.

"Salve, nomen mihi est Rose," Rose said, with perfect pronunciation. "Quod nomen tibi est?"
"What does that mean?" I asked Rose, feeling confused.
"What is your name," Rose replied.
"Salve, nomen mihi est Feonyx," I said, earning praise from the professor.
"Bene factum,"Professor Lerin exclaimed, telling me what it meant. "Your pronunciation was excellent," she said after.
She made her way to the front of the room and clapped her hands, getting the attention of the class. "That's all the time we have for today. You are dismissed and can now go to your next class."

Meeting up with Reef after class, we walked together to our next one - Clarity of the Mind. It was just meditating to get more in touch with the Veil, and learning tricks to clear our mind. The professor was called Professor Reskeli, a small man with a bushy orange mustache. He waddled into the classroom, getting us to sit on velvet cushions and close our eyes.
"Imagine you are floating on a cloud, high up in the sky. You are alone, and the sound of silence fills your ears. Breathe in and the cloud rises. 1... 2... 3... 4... 5...
Breathe out, and the cloud gently lowers. 1... 2... 3... 4... 5... 6... 7..."
He repeated counting, getting us to breathe in and out slowly, clearing our mind. His voice was monotonous, and boring. The lesson felt like it took an eternity, with an entire session of meditation.
Finally, it was over and we were dismissed to go out to break, relieved that we wouldn't have to suffer through any more of that.

"Our lesson was so boring," I complained to Rose in the school gardens. We were by the lake, its water glassy and still, and clear enough to see the pebbles on the bottom. Koi carp swam around, their scales shimmering in the sunlight. A weeping willow was above us, its branches sweeping against the water and creating a covered den.
"Why," Rose asked me.
"We had Clarity of the Mind. The professor was so annoying and all we did was sit and listen to him drone on about being on a cloud and to breathe. What did you have?" I said, barely taking a breath.
"Oh, I had that too, but my professor was actually nice. Her name was Professor Carey. Yours sounds like my uncle, Crusty Bob," Rose said sympathetically.
I laughed at the name of Rose's uncle and said, "Lets go get some food at the dining hall." We walked towards the castle together, and entered the large oak doors.

* Here's Chapter 12. Sorry it's been a little while but I was away and had to write Chapter 2 of my PJO fanfic. Hope you enjoyed this one though and Chapter 13 should be out soon. *