Chapter 9

My name echoed round the hall. I stood up, making my way to the circle. Around me were hundreds of people all staring at me - the first years, the second years and the third years, their eyes all on me. My heart was pounding as I took a nervous breath, before opening my mouth to speak.
"Lux et luceat," I murmured quietly, feeling a power flow beneath me. It tingled through my veins, surging into my tingling fingertips. It felt like I was always meant to hold this power, to use it, like it had always been a part of me. Pushing it out into the space around me, I closed my eyes, willing the power to glow. I stood waiting for the force beneath - the Veil - to respond to my call, and when I opened my eyes, I gasped in shock. The area around me was glowing a purple colour, a radiant shining light. Barely able to keep my eyes open, I could see that all of the other students, and teachers that had entered the room, were shielding their eyes from the increasingly bright light, and some even put on tinted glasses to try and dull the glow.
Drawing the Lanar back into my veins, the light dimmed until it had completely disappeared and the room was back to normal. Behind me, I could hear Tallulah commenting on my performance.
"This girl is one of the most powerful sorceresses that has existed in this world!"
I walked back to my seat, pondering Tallulah's words and memorising the incantation I spoke. By the time I had sat down, Megan was already asking me questions about how I did it, and if I had any tips for her.
"All you need to do is reach into the Veil and draw out some of the Lanar to use. After that, it all comes naturally," I told Megan, and closed my eyes, calling the Veil and drawing out Lanar. I let it fizzle away back to the Veil, and opened my eyes to see another person chant. However, they didn't manage to call on the Veil, and walked back to their seat with a disappointed look on their face. After about ten more people, Megan was called up. Her face turned white as she stood in the centre of the circle and speak the words. She began to glow with a soft light: it was a black colour, and looked like an expanding void slowly corrupting the universe. A small smirk appeared on Megan's face as she dimmed her light and strode back to her seat.

📚

"You did amazingly out there Megan," I said excitedly. "You too Rose, that pink light looked awesome!"
We were back in our room now, and were chatting about the morning. It was an hour or so after we had left the hall to have lunch, but we had nothing left for the rest of the day.
"Thanks, yours was the best though," Rose replied, and smiled as she spoke. Her hazel eyes sparkled, a small glimmer in the corner.
I leaned back in my armchair, relaxed and feeling tired after my performance this morning. Using the Veil really drained me, but I hoped that it would get better as I got more advanced.
"Nyx, you listening?" Megan asked, and shook me vigorously. Startled, I jolted awake, realising I had drifted off to sleep.
"Sorry," I apologized, and began to talk again, yawning every so often.

After a couple of hours, I stood up, leaving the room alone. I made my way to the very top of the school to practice using the Veil. It took me a good couple of hours to get to where I wanted to be.
"Lux et luceat," I muttered, and my purple light appeared. However, this time, it wasn't blindingly bright, and I cheered, satisfied with my work. This made the light brighten, and I thought to myself, "I really have to work on my emotions." I drew in the Lanar, and walked back to my room, a newfound spring in my step.
My key turned in the lock and I entered the room to see Megan and Rose sitting, watching something on Megan's phone.
"Nyx, where have you been!" Rose jumped up, looking offended that I had been gone for so long.
"Doing this," I replied with a smirk, and started to glow. Gradually, I made it brighter, then snuffed it out in a second.
Megan's mouth dropped open in awe as I finished my spectacle, and stared.
"Well, it's dinner time," I announced, and pushed open the door, walking out with Rose, Megan soon jumping up and following us.

* Thanks for reading Chapter 9 and I hope you enjoyed it. I've had a lot more time to write as now I'm on summer holidays, so look out for Chapter 10. *