Chapter 3

I slid the letter out of the envelope and began to read:

Dear Feonyx Tay,

You have been accepted into Crescent High, a school where you can unlock your true potential. From many other children around the world, you have been recognised  as someone who would be an asset to the school. At Crescent High, you will have unique opportunities and be able to use abilities that others don't have. An equipment list is attached, and we hope you consider our school.

Yours sincerely,
Eugene Ereliar
Headmaster of Crescent High

It was written in cursive, with lots of swirls and flourishes, and had what appeared to be the school's emblem on the parchment. Thanking Reef, I went back inside the house, closing the door behind me. My face was as bright as the Sun, I finally had my new book, and had been recognised by a school I didn't even know existed. Even though I really wanted to go to this school, Mum would say no as it would be too expensive for her, and besides, how would she get me there. Flipping over the letter, I had a quick read of the equipment list, which was rather short, considering it was a boarding school. However, there was one small detail on there that made me ecstatic. They were offering me a scholarship, so there would be no cost at all, and a plane ticket was in the envelope.

Just as I was thinking about the offer, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs, not any of the boys' though. It was Mum. I spun around, facing her as she descended into the hallway where I was standing. She had one of those looks on her face that said, "You, are in trouble."

"Feonyx," she began. "Who was at the door, they woke me up with their incessant rambling. Well, I'm up now, make me breakfast - how about one of those waffles that I picked up yesterday." Her gaze was drawn to the letter in my hand. "What. Is. That." It was a steely voice, that made me shiver inside.

"Oh, it's just a letter that I got," I said, passing it to her, a hopeful look filling my face. We walked through to the kitchen, where Mum sat down, reading the letter, and I got out a waffle for her. "Basically, Reef was doing the post this morning, and he gave it to me," I explained, placing a plate on the table as Mum looked up.

"So, a scholarship. To a school half way across the country," she said, slowly, processing the information. "And all you need is a bag with a few spare sets of clothes, where I don't even have to pay for you to get there." A thoughtful expression appeared. "I don't see why not, after all, it is free," she mused. My face burst into a grin as I cried out. I was finally going to be rid of this place, with a whole new set of people. This was the best opportunity ever!

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," I squealed, wrapping Mum in a tight hug, which I never normally do. She took a bite of her waffle, as I danced round the kitchen in delight. "How will I ever repay you!" I made my way to the door, and headed out to tell Reef.

📚

"Reef," I called, catching up to him. "I have news. You know that letter you gave me, it basically said that I had been accepted into a really cool school on a scholarship. And, Mum said yes!"
He turned around and looked at me.
"So you got in too," he questioned. "That's awesome, I won't be alone."
His blue hair rustled in the breeze, and his eyes twinkled. Reef told me that the plane left the next day, and I had better get packing for it. We walked around the village for a bit, chatting about what the school would be like, and how Reef had an older sister who went there.
Before heading back, I stopped at the bakery to tell Tom and he was really surprised be the news.
"I'm pleased for you, kiddo, but make sure you write to us," he said, before squashing me in a hug.
"I'll miss you, Tom," I said, leaving the bakery for the last time.

📚

In my room, I rummaged through my wardrobe, trying to find my favourite top to pack. It was the night before I left, and I wanted to make the most of it. The sun was setting outside, leaving a beautiful gradient in the sky behind it. This was one thing I would miss - Westfield had the best sunsets, and I doubted that they could be witnessed anywhere else.
"Ah ha,"I exclaimed, finding the top shoved at the back of one of the drawers. "I'm all packed and ready to go."
I snuggled down in to bed for the last time, and closed my eyes, ready for the day ahead.

* I had time tonight to do another chapter, so here it is. The picture at the top is the letter accepting Feonyx into Crescent High. What did you think, and did you like Reef. Chapter 4 will be out soon, in the next couple of days I hope, as long as I'm not overloaded with homework. Just realized, this story has made it to 133 in magic school. It's not that high, but I'm really happy about it for my first story.*