Chapter 16

I couldn't see a thing. Blackness filled my vision and awkward silence lingered around me. The breaths I took were few and far between, and it pained my chest with every inhale of air. Looking around me, I could see a golden light coming from a doorway in front of me.
"Am I dead?" was my first thought, then I started to walk towards the arch seeming to pull me in. It was blinding as I got closer, and as I reached out to touch it, it was cold, but burnt my skin, and I walked through it.
Pain coursed through my veins, and my head throbbed as I emerged into a large hall, empty and devoid of life, apart from a figure standing with their back to me. Large windows lined the wall, but I couldn't see out of them, and benches in rows were on either side of the doorway I had come through. The ceiling was high, arching up to meet at the top, and flickering candles in holders on the wall provided just enough light to see by.
"Hello, little one," the figure said, turning around to face me, and I realized that it was the golden lady from my dreams. She looked even more corrupted than the last time I saw her, with black patches on her dress and skin going dull. The only thing that was still pure and light was her flowing hair stretching down her back.
"What are you doing here?" I asked her.
"I have come to warn you. The danger grows ever closer, be wary of others."
"What does that mean?" I questioned, but she was gone. "Guess I'll never know now." My words were sour, but at the same time, I wondered. Slowly, shouts got louder in my head.
"Feonyx, Feonyx! Wake up!" It sounded like Rose, a soft voice, but urgent. "Wake up!"
Around me, the scenery started to fade, leaving me surrounded by people looking down at me.

📚

"Quick, let's get her to the hospital wing," Rose ordered. Her voice was hazy, and sounded like I was underwater, muffled and quiet. I felt myself being picked up, but I fell asleep as they were moving me.
When I awoke, I was in an uncomfortable white bed with people standing around me. There was a person I hadn't seen before as well, and I opened my mouth to speak.
"Who, who are you?" I asked, stumbling over the words.
"I'm Miss Vellard, the healer at the school. You're in the hospital wing - you passed out by the lake."
She seemed nice, and her smooth voice was soothing, sending me back into a deep slumber. I slept for a good three hours, dreams haunting me. One was black, in the endless void, this time with sounds of cracking echoing round the empty space. I had visions of the egg, still in my room, shaking under the covers, cracks spreading like a wildfire across the shell. Chirping could be heard from inside, and I started to panic. What if it hatched and couldn't breathe.
Slowly, I opened my eyes, the bright lights of the hospital wing blinding, and I squinted like a mole. Above me was Miss Vellard, holding a clipboard and seeming to write stuff on it.
"Ah, you're awake," she said in her sing song voice. "Do you want a snack, you must be hungry."
It was then that I realized how long I had slept, and my stomach growled in protest.
"What time is it?" I questioned. "And, yes, I would like something to eat."
Miss Vellard nodded and muttered an incantation, summoning an apple which she tossed to me.
"Feonyx, it's 6pm right now - you've slept for five hours. It was 1 when Rose found you, if it weren't for her, you'd still be out there."
"I need to go to my room," I exclaimed suddenly, and sat up quickly, causing my head to pound.
"You should stay here for the night, you need your rest," Miss Vellard tried to tell me, but I wasn't having it. I climbed out of the bed and rushed out of the room.
"Kids these days," I heard her sigh as she closed the door. "No sense of what's good for them."

📚

"Egg," I murmured as I threw back the covers. It was still there. I sighed in relief, running my fingers along the web of cracks in the egg's shell. They seemed to be pulsing with a golden light, the same colour as the gems and streaks on the egg. Slowly, the egg was becoming more golden, the cracks getting brighter and brighter.
I placed my hand on the shell as it pulsed, feeling the round object shake. As the light got brighter, the egg began to vibrate more and more, the heat increasing. It was becoming unbearably hot now, and I was about to take my hand away when a shock ran through my hand.
"Ow." I recoiled away from the egg and looked at my palm. In the middle was an ancient symbol that looked like a rune. Grabbing my book off of the shelf, I started to flick through the pages, certain that I had seen the symbol before.
"Ah ha!" I jumped out of my chair. On the page I was on was the symbol.

When the Void Sorcerer bonds with the ancient creature, this symbol is burnt into their palm. It depicts the Void Dragon bursting from the egg, and allows them to converse with the dragon, and access its memories. It can be incredibly useful in the right situation.

"The Void Sorcerer bonding with an ancient creature?" I mused. Thoughts swirled through my head relentlessly and it felt like I had gained centuries of knowledge. "Can it be?"

* And finally another chapter! Woooo. Well my once a week plan went out of the window, so sorry about that. But so much lore and back story. I'm on holidays now so updates might come faster, but, be patient. They will come, eventually. *