Chapter twenty-two

Start from the beginning

Rolus looked like he was not going to answer, but changed his mind last minute. "Actually, Luke. Remember that celebration I had? Looking back now, I think I found a suitable candidate."

At that, Luke's grin disappeared. He hissed. "Really? And when were you planning on telling me?"

"I wasn't going to tell you because I had no one in mind, but then your questioning had me remembering someone worthy. Since you're so eager for answers, I hope you can handle them."

"You can't do this to me, Rolus. You can't keep on doing this to me."

"I told you that I'm handling the matter, but you just keep pushing and pushing. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with the predicament I am in. So, please," Rolus said, his eyes holding Luke captive, wanting him to understand.

"I'll find you a replacement mate then." Luke knew he was just being desperate at this point. But he was not about to lose his mate when he's just found him. Yes, their situation was not conventional, but they were still mates.

Rolus looked at him in disbelief. "Are you hearing yourself right now?"

"It's a great idea, Rolus. I find you a replacement mate, someone I trust. Someone we can both trust. It's a great idea," Luke convinced. He felt some of the stress leave him because of the great idea he had.

Rolus sighed, leaning against the back of his chair. At least he looked to be contemplating the idea.

He didn't pay attention to it because of his mind being occupied by their situation, but since he could focus now without worrying, he felt eyes on his back. He ignored them, hoping they would go away.

He refilled his glass, but didn't drink. Rolus had his eyes closed. Luke hoped he was considering the idea.

Before Luke could get lost in his head, a waiter came, with a bottle of whiskey, a tired smile decorating his face.

"We didn't order this," Rolus spoke, confused.

Luke could feel his heart sink when he sensed the faint smell of wolves in the restaurant.

"The gentlemen over there sent it. They said enjoy," the waiter replied, putting the bottle on the table. Luke and Rolus looked over to where he pointed.

There were three men four tables away from theirs. They raised their glasses in unison when they caught Luke and Rolus' eyes.

"Do you know them? Let's get out of here. I think we're being followed," Luke said, grabbing his phone off the table.

"Stop. We're not leaving. We leave after they leave."

Luke glared at Rolus. "We've already been here long enough, Rolus. Oh, and look! here he comes." Luke was ready to erupt.

One man from that table was coming to their table, a cunning smile adorning his lips.

Luke wondered why they couldn't smell their scent. He got his answer when the man approached their table. He was half werewolf, hence the faint smell.

"Well well well. A good evening, gentlemen," he spoke, his tone condescending.

Luke didn't like that one bit. At all.

"A good evening indeed. And a good bottle of whiskey. Thank you," Rolus said, smiling widely.

"We couldn't help but notice that you're having quite a moment. A mate perhaps, Alpha Ashlane?"

Luke could feel his control snapping. His hands shook in anxiety, anxious that they have been found out. He was also livid because of the blatant following the men did.