Chapter 28

The next morning...

I laid there awake with Kinsley sleeping right beside me. I could hear her soft snore. I stroke her blonde hair, thinking about the unimaginable. I moved my hand onto my stomach, I continued to dream about Kinsley playing with the baby. I looked around, wanting to do something instead of laying here. I got up and walked to the kitchen. Nala arise from her bed, walking toward me. 

I whisper: "Hey Nala"

I leaned down and tenderly stroked her soft fur: "Do you want to go for a walk?"

Nala's ears perked up, and she eagerly walked toward me, her tail wagging even more. I smiled, walking toward the table near by the front door. I reached for Nala's leash and grabbed my coat. I secured the leash to her collar. I walked out of my apartment building, still in my comfy clothes. It was 6:45 in the morning, the sun was just beginning to rise, casting a warm glow over the quiet streets. As we walked to the dog park., I took in the peaceful surroundings, enjoying the stillness of the early morning. I sent a quick text to Jay, letting him know where we were headed, and continued on our way. Nala trotted happily beside me, her ears perked up and her tail wagging with every step. I opened the gate to go into the dog park, and Nala eagerly ran inside. I played fetch and ran around with Nala for the next hour. Unexpectedly, my phone started to ring. I reached into my pocket and saw that it was Maeve Reyes calling. I sighed, preparing myself before answering the call. 

"Hello?"

Maeve: "Hi Hailey! I wanted to inform you that Kinsley's parents has contacted us and are wanting custody of her. But, because of Kinsley's parents record, there will be a through investigation to ensure Kinsley's safety. I will be picking Kinsley up in two hours to allow her to visit her parents"

My heart skipped a beat, and a soft gasp escaped my lips. My breath shuddering: "She's not going to like that!"

Maeve: "I'm sorry Hailey, but it's the law. Her parents are flying here right now"

"Okay, thank you for letting me know"

I slammed my thumb against my phone to end the call. I ran my hands through my hair, trying to keep myself together. How am I suppose to tell Kinsley that she have to see her parents?

As I stood there, trying to gather my thoughts, Nala nudged me with her nose, sensing my distress. I walked back to the apartment, feeling a sense of dread and uncertainty. I walked to my bedroom, standing in the doorway.

I whispered: "Jay"

His eyes fluttered open, momentarily disoriented. He mumbled, his voice heavy with sleep: "Yeah?"

"Jay, they're taking Kinsley"

He rubbed his eyes and slowly sat up, pulling the blanket off of him. He walked towards me: "What?"

"Maeve called, her parents are flying in. It's happening"

Jay turned around, looking at Kinsley who was still sleeping peacefully: "When?"

My voice trembling: "Under 2 hours"

We exchanged a glance, a silent understanding passing between us. I walked over to Kinsley gently tapped her awake, and she stirred, rubbing her eyes sleepily. 

Kinsley's voice groggy: "Is it morning time?"

I handed her hearing aids and she puts them in, slowly waking up. She smiles and leaps into my arm. I rubbed her back as I carried her out of the bedroom

"Good Morning Kinsley. We have to get ready"

Kinsley nodded, resting her head on my shoulder. Jay looked at me with worry and fear written all over his face.

"Jay, can you call Voight and tell him I will not be able to make it"

Jay nodded, immediately going to his phone. I walked to Kinsley's room, pulling out the drawer of her dresser. I pulled out a sweater and a jean. I set Kinsley down on her bed and changed her clothes. As I finished dressing her, I could feel her small hand gripping mine tightly, seeking reassurance and comfort.

Kinsley: "You look sad Mama"

I turned to her quickly in shocked, her words piercing through my heart. She just called me a mom. I pulled her into a tight hug, not wanting to let her go. 

Jay walked over to me, rubbing my back. I pulled Kinsley away slightly, looking into her hazel eyes.

I took a deep breath, trying to find the right words: "Kinsley, your parents have contacted Maeve, and they want to see you. They're flying here to visit you"

Her eyes started to fill with tears, her voice trembling with a mix of confusion and fear: "But I don't want to see them!"

I wrapped my arms around her, holding her close: "I know, sweetie"

There was a knock on the door. Jay and I turned to each other. He walked to the door, letting Maeve in.

Maeve's face saddened: "I'm sorry"

I carried Kinsley, holding her close to me toward Maeve: "Do we really have to do this?"

Maeve nodded: "Yes"

 I carefully lowered Kinsley, gently placing her on the floor. However, instead of letting go, she clung to me tightly, her small hands gripping my arms with desperation. A wave of distress washed over her, and her screams filled the room.

I knelt down beside her, wrapping my arms around her trembling body: "It's okay Kinsley"

Kinsley screamed: "NO NO! I DON'T WANT TO!"

Maeve: "Kinsley, you will come back here. We are just seeing you parents, that's all"

Her cries gradually softened into sobs, her small body shaking with the weight of her emotions. I held her tightly, my own heart aching with the pain of witnessing her distress.

Jay knelt down next to me: "We love you Kinsley, we will be right here waiting for you"

I gently wiped away her tears and attempted to let go of her, but she clung to me. With a whisper, she pleaded: "I don't want to go see my parents!"

I let her hold onto me a little longer before she slowly let go and walked towards Maeve, tears still streaming down her face. I hurried and ran to her bedroom to grab her horse. I handed it to her: "We are right here, we are not going anywhere Kinsley"

She nodded, clutching the horse tightly in her small hands. Maeve and Kinsley walked out the door. As they left, I turned to Jay, tears streaming down my face, my voice choked with emotion.