Chapter 19

Outside of their apartment, the air was crisp and cool, carrying the scent of freshly fallen leaves. A gentle breeze whispered through the trees. The sun was beaming through her blinds, waking up Hailey. She feels lighter than she has in so long, like every muscle in her body has loosened and every nerve relaxed. She thought about last night, it was their first time since Jay left. She turns over, facing Jay who was already awake, staring into her oceanic blue eyes.

Jay smiles, speaking softly: "Good morning"

Hailey giggles: "Good morning"

Jay: "Last night was something. How did you sleep?"

Hailey: "Like a baby"

Jay leans in and kiss Hailey.

Hailey: "We should probably get up and start our day"

Jay smirks: "Or we could stay in bed all day"

Hailey smiled, pulling off the blankets: "I wish but I want waffles!

Jay laughs: "Okay, anything for you"

They both got up and got ready for the day. Jay made waffles while Hailey played with Nala. After breakfast, they decided to go for a walk with Nala since the weather was perfect. Jay and Hailey step out of their apartment building, greeted by the crisp autumn air and the rustling of leaves. Nala walks alongside them, her tail wagging with excitement. They chatted about life in general and then work.

Jay: "I think I should go back to work soon"

Hailey looks at him: "Where will you work? Are you coming back to intelligence?"

Jay: "I don't know. You know, the one of the reason I left was because of Voight"

Hailey nods: "Yeah"

Hailey: "Jay, whatever you decide, I'll support you"

Jay looks at his watch, "Are you nervous for Kinsley's hearing?"

Hailey whispers: "Yeah. It's just sad she has no known family relatives, they don't know her parents"

Jay: "Is anyone investigating this? Has Kinsley said anything?"

Hailey: "I don't know, I know Chicago SVU is investigating the case, but I don't think Kinsley had said much. She's only 5 years old"

Jay: "I know it's tough, but we have to trust that the system will do what's best for Kinsley"

As they walk, they spot a small coffee shop and decide to stop for a cup of coffee before heading home. Once they got home, they waited for Nala's dog sitter to come by before leaving for the court. Jay squeezed her hand and they made their way through the crowd. They found a spot in the back of the courtroom and waited anxiously for the judge to arrive. Hailey's leg was bouncing up and down.

Jay whispered: "It will be alright"

Jay thought to himself, he knew how much Hailey cared about Kinsley. It was was one of the only thing she talked about.

Maeve Reyes and Kinsley showed up about 5 minutes later, along with the Judge. The room falls silent as everyone takes their seats.

15 minutes later after the introduction, the judge began asking Reyes question about Kinsley's wellbeing, "Can you share Kinsley's information? Have you been able to find her parents?"

Reyes steps forward: "No, your honor. Kinsley's family remains unknown. In her most recent foster family, we believe it is not a right fit for her. Her performance at school is declining and therapy's not helping her. We are concern for her wellbeing and her safety. It's recommended that she transfer to a new foster family"