Chapter 17

Jay came in rushing to the waiting room, his heart pounding in his chest. The words that he heard are still echoing in his head, Hailey's in the hospital. His eyes darted around the room, searching for any sign of Hailey. He saw the rest of the team waiting anxiously.

Jay's voice trembled: "Where's Hailey? Where is she!? Is she okay?"

Voight walked up to Jay: "Breathe Jay, she will be okay. They are running tests right now"

Jay's eyes widened with relief: "Can I see her? Please! I need to see Hailey!"

The doctor came into the room, "Are you guys Hailey's relatives?"

Jay walks up to him: "I am her husband. They are her co-workers, very close friends. How's Hailey?"

Doctor nodded, his expression softening: "Hailey had a cerebral edema cause by concussion-"

Kim: "What is that?"

Dr: "Her brain swelled up after she took a blow to her head. We gave her medicine that lowers her blood pressure to help relieve the swelling"

Jay walked up to the doctor with tears in his eyes: "Is she going to be okay?"

Dr: "I am optimistic that she will recover fully with no permanent damages. We had to sedate her to help her recover faster"

Jay: "For how long?"

Dr: "Just until tomorrow morning, she will be sedated all night"

Jay took a deep breath, "Can I see her please?"

The doctor nodded and directed Jay to the hallway.

Voight patted Jay's back, "We'll be here for you, Jay. Take all the time you need."

Jay walked into Hailey's room and saw her lying on the bed, hooked up to machines. He sat down next to her and held her hand, tears streaming down his face.

Jay whispered to Hailey: "I'm so sorry, Hailey. I should have been there to protect you. I am sorry for everything" 

Jay puts his head on Hailey's arm, crying. Kim stood in the doorway, her eyes filled with concern. She held Hailey's belongings tightly. She studied Jay, thinking about how he left her, but she saw how much Hailey meant to him. She sets Hailey's stuff down on the chair and went over to Jay. She wraps her arm around Jay from the side. 

Jay looks up to Kim, his eyes red and puffy: "She looks so helpless-"

Kim whispered back: "I know, but she's very strong"

Jay nodded, tears streaming down his face: "I shouldn't have left her"

Kim placed her hand on Jay's shoulder: "Don't do this to yourself. You had to take care of yourself first. You listened to yourself and you knew you couldn't be there for Hailey without taking care of yourself first"

Jay looks over to Hailey: "I love her"

Kim turns to the door: "Let me know if you need anythin-"

Jay interrupted her: "Kim, I know you are mad at me, but can you please stay? I think Hailey would appreciate you being here"

Kim hesitated for a moment, then nodded. "Of course, Jay. I'll stay."

Jay and Kim sat in silence, keeping watching Hailey as she slept. The only sounds in the room were the beeping of the machines and the soft sound of Hailey's breathing. Some of the team members came by to check on them, giving them food and clothes. As the night wore on, Jay's eyes grew heavy, and he fell asleep in the chair next to Hailey's bed. Kim fell asleep on the couch.