Chapter 20

The next week was busy as Hailey and Jay prepared for Kinsley's arrival. They bought a new twin size bed and couple other furniture for Kinsley's bedroom that used to be an office. Hailey and Jay decided to leave the bedroom basic, so Kinsley can add her own style to it. The bed was decorated with white sheets and fluffy pink pillows. The plush pink rug covered the hardwood floors. They ordered collection of books, dolls, and a dollhouse.

Hailey stood in the doorway, looking at Kinsley's new room. Jay came up behind her, "You excited?"

Hailey nodded, her eyes tearing up.

Jay noticed: "What's wrong?"

Hailey turns to Jay: "I don't know why I am being emotional. I'm just nervous. I keep thinking about my parents, I don't want to be like them. I just want everything to be perfect for her.

Jay: "Hails, first of all, the first step to not being like your parents, is not wanting to become them. Second of all, I seen how you interact with Kinsley and others kids. You will be amazing at this"

Hailey looked up into Jay's eyes and then pulled Jay into a hug: "I'm very excited. Tomorrow's the day!"

Jay: "Want some coffee before you go to work?"

Hailey nodded, taking a deep breath.

Jay poured some coffee and gave it to Hailey. Hailey slowly took a sip, but immediately spit it back into the cup.

Jay looked very confused: "Was it too hot?"

Hailey shook her head: "No... It tasted different"

Jay took a sip of the coffee, becoming more confused: "It taste the same"

Hailey laughs: "It must be me, I am a little stress. See you later"

Hailey grabbed her backpack and headed to work

-----------

Hailey entered the building, meeting Trudy at the front desk.

Trudy: "You excited for tomorrow?"

Hailey smiled. "Yes, I can't wait to bring Kinsley home."

Trudy grinned. "I'm sure she's going to love her new room. You and Jay did an amazing job."

Hailey laughs: "Thank you, Jay sent you a picture?"

Trudy: "Yes, of course he is! He's keeping me updated"

Hailey laughs as she walks upstairs to the bullpen and made her way to her desk. There was a tension in the air, a new case information was posted on the board, scattered with photos and notes.

Voices filled the bullpen as her fellow detectives gathered, discussing the details of the case. Hailey joined the conversation, her mind shifting from the thoughts of Kinsley to the case.

Voight approached the group: "Alright, listen up. We've got a missing person and a murder case. Young girl, fifteen years old. Last seen at her home before her dad was murdered. The crime scene is in uptown Chicago. Hailey, Atwater, Kim, Dante go!"

Hailey found herself partnered with Atwater. They rushed to their vehicle and drove to the crime scene. As they arrived at the crime scene, Hailey and Kevin stepped out of their vehicle, their eyes scanning the area for any clues. The neighborhood was quiet, with only a few people milling about on the sidewalks. Approaching the house, they were met by a team of officers who had secured the area. The front door was open, and they could see the crime scene unit inside, taking photos and collecting evidence. The air was thick with the smell of blood and decay making Hailey nauseous.