Chapter 12

When they arrived at the hospital, Dr. Mannings and several others nurses rushed to Kinsley's side.

H: "Please help her! She passed out in the ambulance. Also she's deaf!"

Dr. Mannings nodded, "Wait in the waiting room. We'll do everything we can for her"

She knew that Kinsley was in good hands, and she felt a sense of relief wash over her.

While waiting, Hailey saw some parents anxiously awaiting news of their loved ones, their faces covered with worry and hope. While others are being reunited with their daughters, tears streaming down their face. Then, Natalia was running up to her father Jorge, hugging him so tight. 

Hailey checked her watch repeatedly, the minutes ticking by slowly. 5:13 pm... 5:20 pm... Her leg bouncing repeatedly, her mind racing with thoughts of Kinsley's well-being.

Capt. Benson noticed Hailey's distress. She walked over and sat down next to her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Capt. Benson: "Are you okay?"

Hailey looked at her, her eyes brimming with tears, "I'm just waiting to hear from the doctor about a girl. She passed out in the ambulance"

Capt. Benson: "Okay, I can wait with you"

Hailey managed a small smile, grateful for Capt. Benson's support, before her gaze returned to the floor. Her phone buzzed, it was a text from Jay.

Hailey smiled from reading the text, it was what she needed at the moment

As they waited, Capt. Benson pulled out a small bag with pink hearing aids in them, "I think these are hers."

Hailey nodded, and looks up when she saw Natalie coming out of the room with a smile on her face.

Natalie: "She's stable. She's going to be okay"

"She passed out due to malnutrition and trauma. I don't think she been outside for awhile, she is very pale and low on Vitamin D"

As Natalie's words sank in, Hailey's heart leapt with relief. Benson rubbed Hailey's back for comfort.

Hailey: "Do you know anything else? What about her age? Her family? She told me that her name is Kinsley before passing out"

Natalie: "No, we have no information about her. But, my estimate is she gotta be around 5 or 6 years old. She's very small"

Capt. Benson: "Can we talk with her?"

Natalie nodded, leading both Hailey and Capt. Benson to Kinsley's room

As they entered Kinsley's room, Hailey's heart swelled with a mix of emotions. The room was quiet, save for the soft beeping of the machines monitoring Kinsley's vital signs. Hailey's heart ached at the sight of the young girl, so small and fragile in the hospital bed. Hailey approached her cautiously, her eyes filled with tenderness and concern.