Chapter 27

(Hailey's POV)

Kinsley and I chatted on the couch about school and the new baby. All the sudden she asked a question that threw me off guard.

Kinsley: "Can I stay with you and Jay forever?"

I paused for a moment, looking at her shocked. I don't know what to say, I can't promise her. She's only in our care temporary.

 "Oh, Kinsley, I wish I could promise you that-"

Kinsley sat up, frowning: "Why not?"

Jay turned around from the kitchen, looking at me then at Kinsley.

I took a deep breath: "Kinsley, I'm going to do everything I can do to make sure you are safe and that you are loved"

Jay, who had been listening, walked over and joined the conversation. He knelt down beside Kinsley and gently said: "Kinsley, we are here for you now, and we will continue to be here for you as long as you need us"

Kinsley whimpered: "I don't want to go back!"

She jumped off and stormed into her room. She slammed the door behind her. I exchanged a concerned glance with Jay, feeling a knot form in my stomach. I walked over to her bedroom, standing in front of the door for a few moments, trying to gather my thoughts. I could hear Kinsley whimpering and crying on the other side, her sobs echoing through the door. I took a deep breath, trying to steady my nerves, before slowly opening the door. I looked around, looking for Kinsley. My eyes darted to the closet door. I slide the door open and saw Kinsley sitting with her knees to her chest.

She yelled, sobbing: "I'm so sorry! I- I didn't mean to slam the door. Don't hit me! Please!"

My heart sank at her words. I knelt down next to her,  holding out my arms: "Kinsley, come here"

Kinsley crawled towards me, her body shaking with sobs. I wrapped my arm around her, holding her close: "It's okay. You don't have to be sorry. We're here for you, and we love you."

Kinsley nodded, her tears continuing to stream down her face as she clung to me

"Do you want to talk about it? Your dad?"

Kinsley hesitated for a minute before talking, her voice barely above a whisper: "I... I remember Dada getting so mad. He... he hit my mama. He drank too."

Her words hung heavy in the air, making me tear up.

"I'm sorry Kinsley. Did he hit you too?"

She nodded before burying her head into my chest. Jay, who had quietly entered the room, knelt down beside us. He gently rubbed my back, offering a silent reassurance that we were in this together.

After a while, Kinsley's sobs began to subside, and she lifted her head from my chest, her tear-stained face looking up at us.

"I love you Kinsley. We both love you so much"

Kinsley: "I love you guys too. Thank you"

Jay spoke, his voice gentle and reassuring: "We'll always be there for you, no matter what. We're family"

Kinsley's voice trembling: "Do you really mean that?"

Jay: "Yes, Kinsley. We mean it. We'll always be here for you, no matter what happens"

Kinsley turned to me, raising her small hands and began to sign: "Sleep with you?"

My heart swelled with affection. I nodded, a warm smile spreading across my face. I helped her change into her pink pajamas on. I brushed her hair and braided her long blonde hair into a french braid. With her favorite stuffed animal horse clutched tightly in her arms, we made our way to my bedroom. We went into the bathroom to brush her teeth.