Chapter 2

Hailey's POV

We arrived at the scene, an abandoned building located in downtown Chicago. Gunshot were heard and a dead body was found.

Voight: "What happened here"

Officer: "A restaurant across the street called it in. Gunshots were heard. We found one female body DOA, no identification and one young female who is on the way to Med. We haven't found the shooter yet and the building haven't been cleared yet"

V: "Ok, you guys heard it. Go clear the building. Stick with your partner"

Everyone split into their own direction while Kim and I headed to the building next to the crime scene. Kim and I agreed that the shooter might've ran over into this building since no cars has been seen leaving the area. When we entered one of the room, a nauseating smell hit, it was disgusting. We turned on our flashlight and continued. As we walked into one of the rooms, we saw an old armchair with a coffee table covered with foods, beers, and newspapers. The clothes were scattered across the floor and an old mattress with blankets was laying on the floor in the corner. 

Kim: "Clear!"

H: "Someone left in a rush"

K: "Yeah, the foods look like it was bought recently"

I walked over to the coffee table and noticed that the newspaper's headline was about the case that we've solved a while back. Kim noticed it too.

K: "Isn't this the same case that we solved a while back?" She paused.

I just slowly nodded. This can't be. This cannot be the same person. We already put him in custody. Was there another person involved?

H: "Kim... This cannot be-- There must've been another person involved. Did he do it to those girls at the crime scene?"  We both stood there in shock.

I stayed behind her, watching her back as we went another room until we came across a hallway in the back of the building. Kim went into the room on the left while I walked into the right. As I surveyed the room, I noticed another door leading to another room, so I walked walking toward it. It was dark and empty, rays of sunlight lit up the room. Then on the floor, there was spots of stained blood.

H: "5021 Henry, roll a crime labs to the building next to the crime scene, we have sightings of blood."

As I walk through the room, I heard feet shuffling and things being knocked over.

Anyone here?  I called out. 

I quickly saw a hooded man running out of the room with a gun in his hand.

STOP, CHICAGO PD! STOP!  I immediately followed him out the door.

"5021 Henry, I am in pursuit! I repeat, I am in pursuit! A guy wearing black hoodie and jeans with green converse! He is armed!" I yelled into the radio while chasing down the guy through the backdoor. 

He ran out of the building into another alley, then all the sudden he was gone. I panicked, I quickly surveyed the scene and pulled out my radio to inform the unit of my whereabouts. I felt someone was creeping up behind me, but as I was turning around, it was too late. I felt a pinch in my neck and the floor swayed beneath me. I started screaming for Kim. I started to feel lightheaded and the last thing I saw before the darkness consumed me completely was his narrow-eyed, disgusted face.