Chapter 16 - Gender Reveal

She pushed him away. And then, in an impulsive twist, she put her fingers to her lips as the touch of his lips still lingered.

But the climax arrived with a slap across Michael's face – a sharp, resounding echo of frustration and unspoken word.

Yup, that's Michael getting slapped, and you are wondering how he got here.

The domino effect began with a seemingly ordinary morning. Mckayla looked stylish and practical in her long trench coat and afro curls pull back into a ponytail held by hair ties. She wore comfortable gray sweatpants underneath the coat and light makeup, including lip gloss and blush, with carefully crafted eyebrows. Her relaxed approach to her morning beauty routine showed that she had a busy day ahead. First, she had to see her gynecologist, Dr. Chidi. Later in the evening, a lash technician was coming over to give her a lash transformation while a hair stylist would wash and install knotless bohemian braids. Additionally, someone would be coming over to pack her bags meticulously for her upcoming trip to the Maldives the following day.

Ah, the Maldives – a much-needed haven for a Christmas and New Year's escape, shared with her friend Jenelle. She and Jenelle didn't have to worry about the expenses, thanks to Mckayla's dad, who generously paid for the lavish vacation, which cost $30k. The cherry on top? They were both gearing up for a first-class experience on Emirates and boy, did Jenelle flip out when she found out. "Damn, having a wealthy bestie really does pay off! I'm taking three showers on that plane, baaabbyy!" Mckayla chuckled to herself, recalling Jenelle's hilarious reaction. And what made it even more exciting was that Jenelle would experience her first taste of first-class luxury on Emirates. Mckayla couldn't wait to see her friend's reaction to the luxurious experience awaiting them, especially since flying first class was far from Jenelle's usual mode of travel.

When Mckayla stepped outside, the chilly air greeted her and made her breath visible like little clouds. She had heard North Carolina was predicted to have 3 inches of snow for Christmas. She walked up to her red BMW and noticed the front tire was flat.

"Don't come for me today Devil!" Mckayla shouted, her mind racing. With an appointment in 75 minutes and a 45-minute drive ahead, panic knocked at her door. Dialing Triple AA, she explained her predicament. "I have a flat tire on my BMW. Can you send someone over?"

"Do you have a spare in your car, ma'am?" The voice on the line queried.

"I don't know. How do I check if I have a spare tire?" Mckayla asked, her frustration growing.

"We'll bring a spare, just in case. But there'll be an additional charge. Is that okay?"

"Sure, how soon can you get here?"

"Today's been busy – wait time is 1 to 2 hours."

"That's too late. I have a doctor's appointment and I need to leave in 15 minutes."

"I'm sorry, ma'am. All our guys are tied up. The closest one will be available in 30 minutes, once they're done with the current job."

"No other option?" Mckayla's voice wavered.

"Try Uber. Call back after your appointment."

Defeat washed over Mckayla. Uber's 30-minute wait made her heart sink. Her last-ditch option was to call Michael. Hesitation crept in – asking for favors was never her thing, especially from him. But with the clock ticking, her choices were vanishing.

She texted Michael, "Hey, are you still around?"

"Yes, why?" He replied.

"I might need a ride to the hospital. My car has a flat, Triple AA said 2 hours, Uber's 35 minutes. If you could fix the flat, I might have a spare somewhere."