Chapter 5 - I'm WHAT???

Mckayla walked into the clinic, looking disheveled. She had spent the entire evening and night tossing and turning, trying to shake off the sense of impending doom that awaited her once the doctor confirmed her diagnosis. She assumed it was HIV since she hadn't experienced any other symptoms. In the past three months, her appetite had increased, and her face appeared slightly plumper, but there were no other abnormalities—no unusual discharge, no burning sensation, nothing out of the ordinary.

Either way, the whole situation fucked her over so much, she didn't attend any of her classes today. Her mind was not in the right place to listen to lectures or talk or see anyone for that matter. 

"Hi, I have an appointment today," Mckayla informed the receptionist.

"Please swipe your student card and have a seat until the nurse calls you," the receptionist replied.

Ten minutes later, the nurse called Mckayla into one of the examination rooms and took her vitals. "The doctor will be with you shortly."

As Mckayla waited for the doctor to show up, she took deep breaths in and out several times to calm her nerves.

There was a knock on the door, and an older-looking black male doctor entered. "I'm Dr. Johnson. Are you Mckayla Bolling-Allen?"

"Yes," Mckayla replied. The doctor smiled.

"Your last name sounds so familiar. Are you by any chance related to Judge Macon Bolling-Allen?" Dr. Johnson asked. He sensed her anxiety. He figured small talk would calm her.

Little did he know, that question was only making Mckayla more nervous. Oh no, She has to tell her family she's dying. "Macon Bolling-Allen was my fourth great-grandfather."

"No way!" exclaimed Dr. Johnson, his smile widening. "Back when I was a pre-law student, I learned that Macon Bolling-Allen was the first black attorney in America."

"I'm aware of the history," Mckayla replied, reminiscing about the times she had studied her family's lineage. "He passed the bar in Maine and opened the first African American law firm in Boston. Later, he relocated to South Carolina and established another law firm with two other black lawyers. His grandson moved the law office to North Carolina in 1920."

"That's correct. During my pre-law days, I dreamed of working for the Bolling-Allen law firm. Are you studying law here?" Dr. Johnson asked curiously.

Mckayla shook her head. "No, I majored in Marketing," she chuckled. "That nearly gave my father and grandfather a heart attack."

"I can imagine. I have your test results," Dr. Johnson said, changing the course of the conversation.

Mckayla gulped. "It's HIV," she blurted out.

"What? No! Who told you that?" Dr. Johnson responded, surprised by her assumption.

"What else could it be? It had to be something significant for me to receive the results in person."

""I see. But you don't have HIV. Your STD results came back negative," Dr. Johnson clarified.

Mckayla's eyes widened in shock. To ensure she heard him correctly, she repeated his statement as a question, "I don't have HIV?" Dr. Johnson shook his head. "I don't have an STD?"

"That's right," the doctor confirmed

At this point Mckayla was confused. "Then why am I here?"

"Your test results indicate that you are pregnant," Dr. Johnson revealed.

Mckayla laughed. "I'm not pregnant. I took the morning-after pill less than 24 hours after the intercourse, and I had my period last month." She laughed again. "Here I thought I was going to die. Whew, Lord, you are really funny on this one. Hope you had a good laugh stressing my life out. "She turned to him. "Doctor Johnson, I'm not pregnant," she concluded with certainty.