Chapter 10 - Michael's Family

***************************************************************************************I dedicate this chapter to the readers who took the time to vote and comment. I can't believe I'm writing my own story after being here on Wattpad for seven years. ***************************************************************************************

Michael's car pulled up to his childhood home, the typical suburban middle-class house with that inviting wrap-around porch. He was back for Thanksgiving dinner, finally making it home after a crazy busy semester with no time for a visit.

But, man, he had more on his mind. He had news to share with his mama—news that she was going to be a grandma. Michael chuckled to himself, she was always talking about babies, like all the time, especially in front of him and Jenn. She's gonna flip when she hears about the new addition to the fam.

Walking up to the front porch, he spotted that old Confederate flag swaying in the breeze. It'd been hanging there forever, just like most of the other neighbors' flags. He remembered asking his mom about it ages ago, and she gave him a whole lecture about what it meant to their family.

"Son, that flag is a symbol of our southern heritage, our legacy," she had told him. "Your great great grandaddy fought for our rights, our rights to do what we want, and we honor him by displaying it proudly. Don't let anyone tell you it means something else. Do you understand?"

"Yeah, ma'am," he'd replied, feeling a sense of pride in their family's history.

Putting those thoughts aside, he climbed the porch steps and headed for the front door. Laughter spilled out from inside, and he couldn't wait to join in the fun. Fumbling with his keys, he finally got the door open and stepped inside, instantly hit by that mouthwatering smell of food coming from the kitchen.

"I'm home!" he yelled.

"Michael! Great, you're finally here. We can start dinner, everybody," his mom said with a twang in her voice.

"Jim!" she called out to Michael's dad, "can you come get the turkey from the oven and put it on the table."

"Hey, Mom, is there anything I can help you with?" Michael offered.

"Yes, sweetheart, go put the bread rolls on the table." With that, Michael happily obliged and headed to the dining area.

When he got there, he spotted Jen already sitting at the table. Next to her was an empty seat, probably meant for him. Totally slipped his mind that she'd be joining them for Thanksgiving. She'd been doing that ever since her parents got divorced when she was just nine. Her family stopped celebrating holidays after the split, so she found a home away from home with Michael's family.

Michael has known Jen since they were both five, back when her family moved across the street. They've been inseparable ever since, going through all the ups and downs together. From sharing their first kiss at thirteen to sharing their first time with each other at the age of 16, they've been through it all. They even ended up at the same college and now in law school, both with big dreams for the future. Michael couldn't help but envision a future where they'd become a power couple, just like Bill and Hillary Clinton, but without the scandals.

Of course, she looks better than Hillary, even Monica. Jen has a slender figure that accentuates her prominent bust. Her long, flowing blonde hair added to her elegance, while her mesmerizing ocean-blue eyes had always held a special charm for him.

Although Jen looked composed, he could sense she might feel a bit nervous. Michael has intentionally ignored her phone calls since she rejected his proposal and found her making out at the house party. It wasn't the first time there had been turmoil in the relationship. Jen was always asking for a break, which he complied with—always being patient with her request. Deep down, he knew she was the one he wanted to be with, the one he would marry. She was senator/president wife material.  He needed to be nice to her, especially since he must tell her the news about the baby. 

"Jen" Michael acknowledged her, and she looked up at him with an assured smile, as if she knew he just couldn't resist speaking to her.

Michael's phone rang. " it's America First Firm," he announced. "Oh my," Jen and Michael's mom, Karen, said in unison. Michael shushed everyone at the table and answered his phone. "Hello?"

"Good afternoon, happy Thanksgiving. May I speak with Michael Cawthorn?"

"Yes, this is he," Michael responded.

"Great, we are calling you to inform you that you got the position with AMERICA First Firm. Congratulations! We will need you to come to the office for training starting in December. Is that fine with you?"

"Huh," Michael was speechless, still trying to process the news. "Uh-huh," was the only response he could manage. I can't believe it was really happening, he thought. After he hung up, his family eagerly looked at him.

"So, what did they say?" Jen asked, her eyes gleaming with curiosity.

"I got the position!" Michael exclaimed with excitement. His mom jumped up and went over to her son to kiss him in the cheeks and give him a hug. "My son is going to be a US senator."

"Momma, it doesn't mean—"

"You will be, with the help of the firm," his mom responded, beaming with pride. She gave her son another kiss on the cheek and returned to her seat.

Jen squeezed Michael's thigh in excitement, and he smiled at her.

"I also got some other news," Michael announced, gettin' everyone's attention. "I'm havin' a baby."

"Oh my gosh!" his younger sister squealed. "Congrats, Jen! I'm gonna be an aunt!"

Jen was taken aback and couldn't say a word. As far as she knew, she wasn't pregnant.

"Well, that's not how I wanted to hear about you two having a baby... you know, without getting married first," Michael's dad, Jim, responded.

"Right," his mom interjected, then turning to Michael's younger sister, Jessica. "We do not have sex before marriage. We are a Christian family, and this is not how we do things." Turning her head back to Jen and Michael " But since it's already been done, we are super excited for you two. When is the wedding?"

"Jen is not pregnant," Michael clarified.

"If Jen is not pregnant, how are you having a baby?" Jim asked, puzzled.

***********************************************************************************************

Welp cat is out of the bag for both families. 

If you enjoyed this chapter, please remember to vote! As always, comments/questions/suggestions are welcome in the comments. Also, please share!! Thank you for taking the time to read this!

***********************************************************************************************