Chapter 7 - Caught In A Lie

Apologies for not updating. Here's a chapter. Don't forget to vote and subscribe. Comments are appreciated.

Mckayla was at home putting on clothes as she waits for Jenelle to stop by with some Chick-fil-A. The plan for the day, as Jenelle put it "baby shopping." in other words, they were heading to the mall. Wanting to feel comfortable, Mckayla settled for a black legging, loose t-shirt with a black lives matter logo, a denim jacket, and gold hoop earring. She put her hair into an afro puff ponytail. She looked good and comfortable. Once she was done getting dressed, she made her way to the kitchen. Her phone rang.

"Hello," answered Mckayla, her voice cheerful.

"Hello, may we speak with Ms. Bolling-Allen?" came the voice on the other end of the line.

"This is she," she responded, her curiosity piqued. As she spoke on the phone, Mckayla heard the doorbell ring. Assuming it was her bestie with the food, Mckayla rushed to the front door while still engaged in her conversation with the medical office.

"Great. We wanted to confirm your appointment with Dr. Chidi on Tuesday at 3:00 PM. "said the assistant. Without checking through the peephole, Mckayla quickly opened the door, intending to continue her conversation with the medical office. "Confirm," she replied.

"We will see you then. Make sure to bring your insurance card and arrive 15 minutes early to complete our new patient packet," the assistant informed her.

"Will do. Goodbye." Mckayla ended the call and turned her attention to the person standing at her doorstep. "Jenelle what took you so long, I'm starv... What are you doing here?".

"I got my STD screening results."He reached into his pocket and pulled out the papers to show her.  "See right there," he pointed, "Negative. I did not give you HIV."

Mckayla felt a mix of annoyance and frustration with herself for opening the door without looking. She rolled her eyes, "Maybe it's a false negative."

"I thought you would say that. I got screened by two different hospitals. Same results. It wasn't me. Are you sure you weren't born with it? Black people are known to have HIV and AIDs."

"Annnnnd you thought this was appropriate to say to me? Do you ever think before words come out of that nasty mouth of yours?" asked Mckayla with an eyebrow raised. She gave him a hard look.

"Who is this?" Jenelle walked in, balancing two bags of food in her hands. "Are you the maintenance guy or something?"

"No, I'm ..." Michael began to respond.

"He was just about to leave" Mckayla interjected. She started pushing Michael out of the door.

As Jenelle observed the scene before her, she tried to piece together the puzzle of who the guy was that Mckayla was rushing out of the door. Then, it dawned on her.
"Oh shit! Are you the baby daddy?" Jenelle blurted out. "Ooops" Jenelle covered her mouth. It wasn't her attention to say that out loud.

Michael steadied his right foot to prevent Mckayla from pushing him further out the door. He turned around "Baby daddy?". He looked at Jenelle, who looks slightly flushed. When Jenelle failed to respond, his gaze shifted to Mckayla, who avoided eye contact. "Wait a minute, Are you pregnant?"

No one answered. "You're pregnant? and you have AIDs?" Michael's voice quivered with a mix of shock and confusion.

"AIDs?" Jenelle said out loud. "What is he talking about McKay?"

Mckayla sents daggers at Jenelle to shut the hell up "I don't know."

"Did you lie?" Michael crossed his arms, demanding answers.

"I have aids and it's not your baby. Okay, goodbye. Thanks for coming. "

"I thought it was HIV?"

"HIV AIDS tomato tomato! You can see yourself out now"

"Okkkkkayyyy! Looks like you two need to talk. I'll go in the car and leave you two here with some privacy". Mckayla glared at her best friend. "He is not the father. There's nothing to talk about." All Mckayla wanted was for Jenelle to follow her lead and stop trying to interfere. She promised to tell her everything once he leaves.

"Oooh, he's not the guy you had that one-night stand with?" Asked Jenelle.

"Go in the fucking car Jenelle. You are not helping!!!"

"Why did you lie?" asked Michael

"Do you want the truth, or do you want me to lie to your face again?"

"You weren't going to tell me?" Michael's voice softened, a hint of hurt creeping into his words.

Mckayla ignored him, grabbing the bags of food and making her way to the kitchen. Michael followed her, pulling out a chair and sitting across from her.

"We're going to be parents?" Michael exclaimed, his eyes fixed on Mckayla as she took a bite of her food. 

Mckayla sighed, setting her sandwich down. "There's no 'we'; I'm not keeping it."

"You wouldn't?" Michael's voice trembled with a mixture of disappointment and confusion.

"My body, my choice," Mckayla firmly stated, holding her ground.

"I..." Michael began, searching for the right words to convey his thoughts.

"I was thinking about adoption," Mckayla interjected.

"I can take care of it"

"Wouldn't that mess your political career fathering a black child!!! "Mckayla asked, a hint of bitterness coloring her words.

"He or she is as much white as they are black," Michael said, attempting to downplay the significance of race.

Mckayla laughed at the absurdity. "Do you hear yourself? Look, I won't tell anyone about this situation. You can go on your merry way and pretend you don't have a child. I'll sign a contract"

"I'm not a person who neglects my responsibilities. I won't be a deadbeat dad," Michael firmly stated, his gaze unwavering.

"Okay, suit yourself," Mckayla replied, a mixture of skepticism and resignation in her voice.

"When is the next appointment?"

Mckayla gave him a questionable look.

"The doctor's appointment, the time and place," Michael clarified.

As Mckayla grabbed her remaining fries, Michael couldn't resist reaching over and quickly snatching a couple for himself. Mckayla protested, "Hey, you cannot eat my food. I did not offer you."

"You are selfish. I hope our kid doesn't inherit this trait" He quickly grabbed two more fries. "Hey", Mckayla screamed. She wanted to fight him for eating her fries. He got up from his seat and walked over to the side where Mckayla was seating. Bent his head near Mckayla and quickly kissed her on the cheek.

Mckayla was taken aback by the unexpected display of affection. "da fuq!!" she exclaimed in surprise.

"That's for not sharing," Michael replied, winking at her before turning to leave, leaving Mckayla alone in her apartment with her thoughts.

***********************************************************************************************

If you enjoyed this chapter, please remember to vote! As always, comments/questions/suggestions are welcome in the comments. Also, please share!! Thank you for taking the time to read this!

***********************************************************************************************