Chapter 12 - Study Buddies

*********************************************************************************

Big shoutout to @_littlefighter_x and everyone who commented and voted. I'm now reading Positively, Negatively (BWWM) by anboyden on Wattpad. It's hysterical. If you haven't already, go read it. *****************************************************************************

It was nearly 1 am, and the moon cast a soft glow over the dimly lit street corner. A figure stood there, dressed in a trench coat and a hat pulled down low as if trying to remain hidden. They had their hands tucked inside to ward off the chilly night air, and they seemed a bit annoyed from waiting so long.

A match was struck in the still of the night, and a small flame flickered, casting a glow on the person's face as they lit a cigarette. The faint light accentuated the lines of tension etched on their features. A wry smile crossed their lips as the person chuckled softly, realizing their own naivety. It was foolish to believe that the man the person was waiting for would actually show up after all this time.

Just as the person was about to give up and leave, the man the person had been waiting for, finally appeared from the shadows. "Sorry, I am late. I hope you weren't standing outside too long," he said, guilt evident in his eyes.

"It's okay. I thought you stood me up, considering everything," the person replied.

The man shook his head and inhaled deeply, recognizing a familiar scent. He stepped closer to the person and gazed into their eyes. "I wanted to see you tonight," he admitted, hesitating to share his true feelings. "I miss you. I miss us." He took the cigarette from their hands and placed it in his mouth, exhaling it slowly.

The person shifted uncomfortably, a mix of emotions swirling within. "You promised you wouldn't talk like that," they said, trying to maintain a distance.

Undeterred, the man took a step closer and reached for the cigarette in the person's hand, bringing it to his lips and taking a slow drag. As he exhaled the smoke, he held the person's gaze, his eyes filled with longing. "I want us back together," he murmured, "I want you back in my bed."

The memories of their past connection were tempting, causing the person's heart to ache with longing. "I can't... this affair... I can't go back. That's why I cut off all contact with you. You're like a drug; the only way to break free from you is to go cold turkey. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings in the process," the person explained, their voice filled with regret. "It was never my intention to cause you pain. I have too much at stake."

The man appeared angry, with his emotions clearly on display. "If you went cold turkey, why are you contacting me now?" he inquired, his voice exuding frustration.

The person paused, gathering their thoughts before sharing the reason for the call. "Because I need a huge favor from you, and you are the only person who can get this job done." The person's voice, tinged with sadness, added, "I can't deny that I still have feelings for you, but I need to protect myself and the life I've built. I can't afford to risk it all for something forbidden and complicated."

The man looked away for a moment, grappling with his own emotions. "It wasn't just physical between us," he said, his voice softening. "There was something deeper, something real."

"I know," the person replied, their voice barely above a whisper. "And that's what made it even harder to walk away. But it's a risk we can't take. We both have responsibilities and commitments that we can't ignore."

The air hung heavy with unspoken words and unfulfilled desires. "What is it that you need from me?" the man asked, his voice laden with sorrow.

The person retrieved a folder from their coat and handed it to him. "His name is Michael Cawthorn; he is a law student at the University of North Carolina and plans to run for Senator in the future. He impregnated a woman," the person explained.