An odd birthday gift

Start from the beginning

"Uhm.." It was all she can mutter, hesitating not because she's shy, but because she was afraid that Cinder might do something that would harm her.

"It's a necklace that would allow you to walk up at land." She said and pulled out a silver necklace shaped in snowflake, her favorite logo ever since she was a child because the cold-in general- was the only thing that comforted her when she was in a bad mood.

Well, what the necklace did was surprising alright. To be able to walk on land? With legs? This made the young mermaid curious-the most curious she has been after a long long time.

"For...how long?" She asked showing interest in the so called gift.

"For a month. Two months at most." Cinder gently told her with a smile. "Remove it and you tail goes back. It's a necklace that was passed on to me during my day of maturity. I want you to use it." She said and pressed the object onto the mermaid's palm and closed her hand. Weiss knew it was a clear sign she can't reject the said gift from the lady.

"T-Thank you." She said and took it.

"You're welcome." Cinder said and swam away from her step daughter, swaying her obsidian glimmering tail away and back to the ballroom to bid farewell to guests who might be leaving early.

Weiss never really had a plan to see land as early as now but when would she? After all, under water, she didn't really belong in a kingdom where normal merpeople judge her for having magical abilities of ice and glyphs that no normal merfolk posses. She was considered a witch in their kingdom.

Just like her mother.

She shook herself out of the daze she was in and looked at the necklace she had at her hand and stared at it in wonder while she thought of possibilities she can use the necklace with but it was mostly because her step mother wanted her to spend time out of the kingdom for...what? That's what she was wondering of, why did her step mother give her a necklace that would send her to another part of the world where she had no family and no one to take care of her? It was suspicious.

Even so, she summoned a glyph in front of her and tossed the necklace in it before it vanished-a mere space to place some items while the user need not to use it.

Weiss looked up at the waters above and saw no sunlight and no stars but mere blue darkness that the ocean floor view offered her. The night was turning to day as her senses told her so she had to go back. Staying out longer will giver her an illness and that is the last thing she wanted to have during her birthday.

She swam back in the ballroom to join the rest of the guests who decided to stay and drink the knight away with the king and queen of the mermaid kingdom.

Weiss pulled his father away from his conversations and took a deep breath.

"Father, I'll be retiring for the night." She informed her father with an exhausted and ungrateful look on her face, wanting to go back in her room which was a paradise for her.

Her father excused himself from the conversations and his smile dropped from merry to defeat and worry. "Well, if you must but there is one thing I wish to give you." Her father pulled her away from the crowds and pulled out a gift box and handed it to his daughter.

"It's from your real mother's collection. She gave it to me a while back. She wanted me to have it for...our dearest daughter to have it." He said with affection for his only daughter.

She was at loss of words as her father was not the kind of man to give her gifts or such things but she was ever so grateful for him. At least this one was...delightful-a treasure she wished to cherish while she lived.

She smiled at her father who smiled back and Weiss gave her a hug. A hug she wanted to give him only within reasons. She was ever so thankful for him and to give her a possession that her biological mother had left for her, it was heart warming.

"Thank you, father." Weiss said and pulled away and smiled at him with gratitude.

Finally, Weiss retreats back to her room, looking for any possible reasons to go up to land and contemplating what would be the gift that her biological mother left her but she can open that soon enough.

She went back to her room, exhausted and soon slept on the bed without changing to her nightwear.

After a few hours of sleep, she woke up and it was not even sun rise up on land. She stretched out and saw that the gift from her father has not been touched. She took the box and opened it only to see a card about the size of an I.D in gold color, a key, and a letter.

She started with the letter seeing that the other two made no sense with it and read it.

My dear Weiss,

I may not be around when you get this but I bid you a happy birthday! You've come of age and I know you are a beautiful young woman by now. Ow I wish I could have seen you grow up but alas, Fate has not been on my side when you were born. So many things have happened but I couldn't tell you much. I'm sure you know what happened to me.

Anyway, I give you these two things: A card-it's used in the mortal world to buy anything you want and I have saved enough for you if you wish to go to land. I'm pretty sure someone would give you something to use for your tail to turn to legs so I'm giving this to you. Also, the key. Keep it. I know somehow, you'll know when to use the key so always have it with you. You'll know what it'll unlock soon.

I'm sorry I can't be there to kiss or hug you and give you my word of advice as a mother but believe me, Weiss. I love you and I am very proud of you.

Don't be ashamed of your powers. The human world-Vale, being the nearest town to your kingdom-has a lot of people with unique abilities as yours. You might want to look around.

Wishing you the best,

Your mother.

Weiss didn't cry but a smile decorated her face. She was touched alright but she found a reason why she would go up to the land. More so over at Vale. This was one thing she had wanted to do, fit in from everyone else.

Finally, a place she can feel better for herself.

Taking a parchment from a table, Weiss started writing a letter to her father and a little bit for her step mother just to thank her.

She left the letter at the study of her father and Went back to her room to pack a few things including that card that her biological mother gave her. It can come in handy after all.

She swam out to her study where she revealed a secret compartment where a rapier-Myrtenaster-was. A weapon that was given to her with Dust included to be of use in case of emergencies. Weiss considered that It would be of use in such a dangerous world after all. Besides, it won't hurt. She can always hide it if she didn't need it.

She sighed and took one last look at her room and closed the door and left for land with no other words or any other information for her departure.

She swam with a smile on her face and finally she broke out to the surface just at dawn.

What she didn't expect was the water spitting her out like poison only to land on the beach and lost consciousness due to impact.

===+++===

I know, I know...Boring first chapter. Well you gotta wait for the second one. Sorry...

-Sapphy