chapter xxvii.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"She was so co-dependent

"She was so co-dependent."
- The Weeknd, In the Night
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

"I can't believe you didn't tell me you'd be a part of the exam."

Athena pouted at Shota over her glass, sipping the whiskey. The weight of her new license felt heavy, its presence in the purse by her leg pressing against her. After the exam, Hizashi had insisted they go out to eat, tossing Athena a new dress and heels to change into before dragging her and Shota to a new restaurant.

She was skeptical when she saw it; low back, dark blue satin that draped over her shoulders and waist. But when they pulled up to the restaurant, she understood.

It was fancier than Athena was used to. It was also dark. The three of them sat in an isolated booth in the low lighting, Hizashi to her left and Shota across from her, with her on the inside of the booth. Hizashi was watching her with a soft smile, leaning against his hand. The loud music made it a little difficult for her to hear, so Hizashi was rather close to her and Shota was leaning across the table with what looked like a smirk.

Shota shrugged. "It wouldn't have been fair to the other contestants."

Hizashi bumped her shoulder with his own. "Heard you still gave Shota a run for his money."

"Fuck yeah, she did." Shota groaned and pressed a hand to his eyes. "You try getting flash banged over and over. I think I need to see my eye doctor again."

"Sorry," Athena apologized, though the sly grin that slipped onto her face said otherwise.

Hizashi sighed - the relaxed kind - and leaned back against the booth chair, slinging his arm over Athena's shoulder with ease. Shota (curse his long legs), pressed his thigh against the inside of Athena's own despite the table between them.

"I watched your first section," Shota admitted.

Athena raised a brow. "Really?"

"You did good," he said nonchalantly, but pride glimmered in his eyes.

"Thanks," Athena grinned. "I was really worried about impressing you."

Shota rolled his eyes as Hizashi barked out a laugh. She turned to the blonde with a grin.

"You look really good in this dress," Hizashi said cheekily, green eyes flickering over her frame. Shota hummed in agreement, and Athena glanced over at him. His dark eyes draped over her figure, tucked into Hizashi's side and flushed from the heat of the other man's body.

"You bought it." Athena looked back to Hizashi, a brow raised. His eyes glowed in the low lighting, hazy green burning into Athena's own dark blue. His jaw tightened as his gaze flickered away from her eyes and down to where their bodies met.