chapter xxiii.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"Heard you, saw you, felt you, love you

"Heard you, saw you, felt you, love you."
Ethel Cain, Ptolemaea
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Athena crouched in the shadows.

"Did you know your eyes glow in the dark?" Shota whispered, eyes never leaving the targets on the dock below. He kept shifting on the edge of the rooftop, itching to finally get back into action. A part of Athena was glad he would be on her first technical mission, despite her being unlicensed.

When she had questioned the legality of her going on a raid with Shota and Kayama, Nezu had just smiled with a short chuckle.

"How else are you going to get used to using your suit in the field?"

Athena blinked. "No." She answered Shota truthfully, a hand mindlessly coming up to touch the skin under her eyes. With her fingers so close to her eyes, she could barely make out the hazy blue glow across the skin of her fingertips.

"I'm going to scout." She pulled her mask over the bottom part of her nose from where it was clasped around her neck, before winking at Shota and ripping through the first layer of reality.

The air shimmered a misty blue around her, the toxic air creating a strange haze over reality. She descended the building quickly, landing softly on the balls of her feet in an empty alleyway.

Fifteen minutes was a short timeline, but Athena could work with it. Between her ability to hold her breath, and the tiny oxygen capsules on her belt, she could probably remain within this dimension for around 20 minutes before the oxygen got to her head, but the oxygen capsules were closer to the mixture of natural gases and wouldn't make her woozy.

She sprinted through the dock, repositioning herself to get a better glance at the area. The distinct sound of the tear of fabric resonated through the air. She took a deep breath and pushed out, dispelling the methane out the sides of her mask.

The gas ignited, and Athena couldn't help but grin as the blue flames licked at her cheeks gently, just barely grazing her skin.

Nezu definitely had a thing for style.

She snuck through the shadows, hiding behind the large storage crates, carefully counting and tallying the quirks of the guards in her mind.

"Twelve guards." Athena pressed a finger to the side of her mask, waiting for the fizzle of the comm link. "Three mutation quirks, the others are unknown."

"They're split up. Quick and quiet take down." She whispered, pulling herself upward onto on of the crates. It created softly under her weight, and she stilled, trying to make as little noise as possible.

"Sounds good, Yoru." Shota's voice crackled through her earpiece. The corners of Athena's mouth tugged upward against her volition. "Move on your own. Midnight and I will make our way to you."