chapter xxi.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"Wish I didn't doubt it, Wish I never ever told you all about it

"Wish I didn't doubt it, 
Wish I never ever told you all about it."
- The Neighborhood, You Get Me So High
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Athena took a deep breath as the sobbing girl was shoved into the rink, the gate shuddering closed behind her.

This was the part she hated the most.

Every kid in Devil's Ring knew her name. They had to be dragged into the arena to fight her. No one wanted to take the chance.

The girl was young and couldn't be older than twelve. She stared at Athena with large watery eyes, begging.

Pleading.

"Fight!" The announcer screamed and the girl ignited her quirk out of fear. A hazy pink flame appeared around her arms, shimmery vines that wound around her forearms and draped across the floor.

The fight had been over before it began and Athena knew it. Her rift was already across the arena and she appeared behind the girl in a blink of an eye, placing her in a choke hold before she could fight back.

The girl choked and clawed at Athena's forearm, struggling for a few seconds before her quirk fluttered out and she slumped in Athena's arms.

The crowd booed at the anticlimactic fight, but it was far fewer than it used to be. They had gotten used to the quick and non-violent takedowns Athena had on the younger kids; the ones who didn't put up a fight.

"You're too nice," Shiharu muttered, kicking at the dirt behind Athena as she slumped onto her cot.

"There was no need to mercilessly beat that girl down." Athena glared at the younger boy. "Show restraint."

"You need to show the others though." He protested. "The older kids still think they can beat you! You need to put them in their places-"

"I will not be the monster this place tries to make of me." Athena cut him off. "You know better, Shiharu. I take no pleasure or pride in fighting."

"You should," Shiharu growled. "You win every fight! Nobody else here can do what you can and you haven't even been bargained for."

"My quirk isn't offensive." Athena retorted. "Wins don't mean anything if my quirk is inherently useless."

Shiharu glared at her, falling silent.

Athena sighed, gaze softening. "Shiharu, I'm doing what I have to do to survive."

"I know." He muttered. "But it's not like we're ever leaving. Might as well find something out of all this."

Athena bit her tongue and refused to tell him her plans. There was no way she could bring the younger boy with her if she did ever make it out of the ring, with her and Aku's deal, or by her own means.