chapter vii.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"I need you to run to me, run to me lover

"I need you to run to me, run to me lover."
- Hozier, Run 
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Every bone ached in Athena's body as the announcer flew to raise her hand. Athena let the woman yank her arm into the air, waving it around at the roaring crowd. She yanked herself out of the touch after a minute, giving her a short glare before stalking back through the arena entrances.

"Good fight." A voice echoed from her side. She grunted, moving towards the healer. The young boy bounced excitedly by her side, peering up at Athena as she slid onto the old bloodied cot.

"Do you need something, kid?" Athena murmured, because that was what he was. No older than ten, the blue haired boy watched her with starry eyes.

"You're the coolest person here!" He grinned brightly. "You win every fight. SHABLAM! POW!"

He punched and kicked the air excitedly, thrusting his hands out and tugging his body forward in a cheap mimic of her teleportation.

Athena huffed.

"I'm Shiharu!" The boy rocked on his heels, watching Athena with a grin. "You're Yoru."

Athena nodded. She gave a weak smile to the nurse, who just tilted her head in Athena's direction. Slipping off the cot, Athena rubbed at the bandages across her forearms, wrinkling her nose at the familiar itch that had begun to settle underneath them.

"How'd you learn to fight so good?" Shihariu followed after her like a lost puppy. "No one here can fight like you! You never lose a fight!"

"I 've lost a lot of fights." Athena hummed, humoring Shihari as she headed back to the sleeping quarters.

"No way!" Shihariu whispered. "You're the coolest! You'll never ever lose."

'That's the plan.' Athena thought to herself.

"What do you want?" Athena turned suddenly. Shihariu stumbled, flailing in an attempt not to bump into her.

He stared at her with bright eyes, burning with a hidden determination. 

"I want you to teach me to fight."

-----

Athena woke slowly.

Her hearing came first, the loud buzz of electricity filling the empty silence of her unconsciousness. As her senses returned to her, so did the memory of what happened; the building exploding, dragging Yamada way, and fighting the duo from the ring.

"You're awake."

Athena blinked, glancing towards the chair in the corner.

Erasurehead sat in civilian clothing, a black turtleneck and jeans. His hair was drawn back out of his face, and a pair of glasses were perched on his nose. There was a scatter of paper across the small table in front of him, what looked like a stack of essays, meant to be graded.