chapter xxiv.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"I'm coming back to you

"I'm coming back to you."
- Jackson Wang, Cruel
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Meeting with Nezu was more painful than anything Athena had learned in the Ring.

Three times a week, he crammed as much knowledge into Athena's brain as she could manage, and then more. Athena was a fighter and she thrived in environments with quick changes and limited information. When she was in college, it took her months to figure out the most effective ways for her to memorize massive amounts of information and she still had difficulty even then.

Nezu decided that a lecture and a whiteboard were the most effective ways to prep Athena on rescue protocols, containment, and victim priority. Universal code signals and flare signs. Damage control. Her head ached.

"I think that is everything." Nezu chirped cheerfully. "Of course, you'll have to practice to make sure you can accomplish all of these things in the heat of battle!"

Athena gave the mammal a weak smile and a thumbs up. "Right."

She slumped in relief. For a hero license, this was turning into a lot harder work than she had anticipated. She could see it on Nezu's face. He wasn't expecting her to pull through. She was supposed to pass the case off to the heroes, trusting that they would defeat Aku for good.

But Athena couldn't do it.

So she was stuck taking lessons from the smartest and possibly craziest creature in the world. In these moments, she remembered Shota and Hizashi's hesitance to introduce her to their boss and mentally cursed the duo for not properly preparing her for exactly how eccentric he was. Still, a necessary evil to get her on the strike team.

Two weeks later, Nezu introduced her to a tall, lanky hero. He had green hair with streaks of yellow, which was off-putting to Athena on the color choice alone. But what really bothered her was the sneer that he leveled at her through his rectangular glasses.

"Nighteye." He shook her hand and stared at her.

Athena stared back. "My pleasure. Athena Kiritani. Code name, Yoru."

He sniffed down at her with distaste and Athena suddenly felt the urge to prove herself to the hero. She squashed the feeling and turned back to Nezu, who sat with his hands folded on the top of his desk.

"Ms. Kiritani," Nezu smiled. "Nighteye is an underground hero who specializes in intelligence. His quirk allows him to momentarily see parts of the future, once a day."

Non-combatant. But when Athena sized up the still man, she wasn't so sure she could count on that. A hero who could tell her every move in battle?

Athena eyed the man next to her. "That's quite the quirk. Hell of a drawback."