chapter iii.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"I bet she could never make you cry,cause the scars on your heart are still mine

"I bet she could never make you cry,
cause the scars on your heart are still mine."
- Rihanna, Woo
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Athena huffed in pain as she glared at the other teen in front of her. She was younger than her opponent, slower, and weaker.

This match-up was to knock her down a peg.

She knew she had been getting too cocky with Aku.

She dodged the spike that had emerged from the ground. She gathered the dimensional rift within her palm, rolling it across the ground before letting off a bright flash.

Her opponent cried out, stumbling back. Athena tugged herself through the rift until she appeared behind the teen. She pounced on the girl's back, toppling her to the ground.

Athena entangled her fingers in the teen's hair, smashing her face into the ground repeatedly pool of blood had grown concerningly large and she was sure that she won.

The roars of the crowd were deafening.

They always liked an underdog.

Athena glared up at the announcer's box, making eye contact with Aku. He tilted his head towards the exit.

Athena stomped off, shaking off the reaching hands of the other kids.

The pit stunk of dirt and blood.

She met Aku in his office, just like always. She didn't bother to wipe the blood off her hands, leaving a bright red handprint along the handle of his door.

"Quite a show out there." Aku gave her a nod. "You're one of the best fighters ever to grace this arena."

"Flattery won't keep me here any longer," Athena growled. "I'm fifteen. Once I'm eighteen, I'm out."

Aku shrugged. "Who said I'd let you go?"

"Nobody's here to see an adult fight a bunch of kids." Athena spat. "We both know that."

"I don't know." Aku gave her a sickening grin. "You are quite the fan favorite out here."

Athena let out a sharp breath. "Let's make a deal."

Aku tilted his head. "Oh? What makes you have enough power to do that?"

"I'll kill the next kid you put me in the ring with if you don't agree," Athena reassured with conviction.

Aku's eyes gleamed. "Very well."

"If I win every fight for the next three years," Athena bargained. "You let me go. Deal?"