chapter vi.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"I've got this anxious feeling,                                      but it goes away when I'm with you

"I've got this anxious feeling,                         
             but it goes away when I'm with you."
- The Neighborhood, Cry Baby
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

"What are you doing here?" He hissed, dragging her to her feet. "It doesn't matter. We need to go. Now."

Athena let him drag her into one of the side shops, watching as he picked the lock with ease. She took him in. The top of his hero costume had been ripped, his leather jacket missing from the man. He was covered in dried blood and a violent gash streaked from his right shoulder to his left hip, down his back.

"How the fuck are you standing?" Athena murmured. Yamada's legs shook beneath him.

He got the door open and pulled Athena inside, shutting the door and dragging the two towards the back.

"Do you have a phone on you?" He asked softly. "I need to call Shota."

She handed him her cell. "How'd you escape?" She demanded quietly. "What the hell happened?"

"I was on a drug hit." He muttered. "Seems my luck caught up to me because it was an ambush."

Athena paused. How'd they know he would be there? - "The assistant." She breathed.

Yamada scoffed. "I should have double-checked what information he knew. This has been planned for five months. I should have known to change the date."

"Nothing to be done about it now," Athena murmured. "We need to get you to a hospital."

"We need Shota." Yamada retorted. "I was being followed-"

Athena pressed a hand against his mouth. A shadow crossed the storefront, pausing briefly at the door. Athena glanced at the ground. A small trail of blood led in their direction.

"Shit-" Athena hissed before the whole building exploded.

----

Athena blinked as she came too. The air was full of smoke and ash. Her leg throbbed below her, but she barely registered it as she took in the ruins of what was previously a store.

Then she realized Yamada was no longer by her side.

"Yamada?" Athena coughed, squinting through the thick dust of the rubble. She glanced down at her leg.

She really shouldn't have done that.

A thick spear of rebar pierced through her calf, pinning her in place. As soon as she noticed, the dull throb roared into burning pain, enough to make Athena take a staggering breath to keep herself from screaming.

"Fuck." Athena hissed. "Fuck, fuck, fuck."

Her mind racing, she stripped her tank, bundling it between her teeth before grasping the rebar between her hands. Not even giving herself time to prepare, she ripped it clean from her leg.