chapter xv.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"You got me touchin' on your body

"You got me touchin' on your body."
- The Weeknd, Acquainted
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Athena winced. Her arms and torso burned from the strain as she let her arms fall to either side of her. After weeks of healing, her ribs still ached with too much movement. She took a deep breath, trying not to let the frustration overtake her.

She couldn't even put her hair up or brush it. It was one more capability she'd lost.

She felt useless.

How would she be able to fight? She wasn't even in the condition to braid her hair.

"You okay?" Hizashi peeked around the corner of the doorway.

Athena sighed, glancing up at the blonde. "You always have some strange way of telling whenever I'm suffering."

Hizashi shrugged and smiled. "Is that your way of saying you need help?"

Athena pouted before holding out the hair tie to Hizashi. "Can you braid my hair?"

Hizashi nodded. "Of course, 'Thena. You know I'd help with anything."

Athena flushed at his easy declaration, but let Hizashi slide onto the bed behind her. She ignored the way his thighs pressed into her hips, the smell of chamomile and oak washing over her. She felt herself relax into Hizashi, her eyes fluttering shut as he ran his fingers through her hair.

He brushed her hair softly, humming a faint song under his breath.

Athena felt her face flush even more as his fingers brushed against her neck, carefully pulling the strands into the braid. Her heart pounded in her chest, her lungs aching for oxygen.

"And... done." Hizashi finally pulled away, and Athena took a quiet breath. She shuddered at the loss of contact, burning for any kind of contact with the man. Hizashi's hands lingered, shifting from her shoulders and trailing a soothing touch until they rested on her waist, a fiery warmth along her skin.

"You know you can ask, Athena." Hizashi murmured softly. "I'm here for you. Always."

He was touchier than usual, but Athena didn't let it bother her. She would never be bothered by Hizashi. She leaned back into him, relishing the way his chest pressed into her back. Hizashi wrapped his arms around her waist, placing his chin within the crook of her neck.

His eyes fluttered shut as he breathed her in.

"I know." She whispered. "Thank you, Hizashi."

"Your roots are blue." Hizashi spoke after a moment. Athena hummed in confusion. "Is your hair not naturally black?"