chapter xii.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"If I told you that I loved you, Tell me what would you say?"- The Neighborhood, The Beach└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

"If I told you that I loved you, 
Tell me what would you say?"
- The Neighborhood, The Beach
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Athena woke up in a bed once more.

The room was dark, the curtains drawn tightly. She had no clue as to what time it was, her phone broken and missing from the explosion. From what her internal clock told her, it was early in the morning. 

Athena stared blankly up at the ceiling, the white plaster looming over her.

Jin. 

Against her will, her eyes began to burn.

Breathe Athena.

She took a sharp breath, though the air was quickly shot back out of her lungs as a sharp pain shot through her sternum. She turned to her side, curling inwards.

Breathe, breathe, breathe.

She squeezed her eyes shut.

Jin was gone.

And it was her fault.

The image of his limp body, swinging from her ceiling. The strange length of his neck, the crooked angle. The broken fingers and blood-stained clothes. The missing fingernails. 

He'd been tortured before he was killed. 

He was long dead before she found him. 

She couldn't help the choked sob that slipped through her lips, her hand shooting upwards to muffle her cries and stifle any noise that got through. She took a second, shuddering breath, only to find her lungs no longer worked. 

She heaved, trying to breathe in any sort of oxygen, only to fall short.

Breathe, breathe, breathe.

"Athena?" The door to the bedroom had opened, but Athena didn't bother opening her eyes, instead pressing the heels of her palms into her eyelids as if the pain would ground her enough to bring her out of the strange panic.

"Athena, I need you to take a breath." Hizashi's voice was like velvet, washing over her like cold ice. His hands reached up, less callused than Shota's, gently prying her hands away from her eyes.

Athena blinked at the blonde in front of her, still struggling to take a breath. He held one of her hands, interlocking fingers in one while holding the other flat against his chest.

He took an exaggerated breath, urging Athena to mimic him.

She took a stuttering gasp for air.

Hizashi's green eyes bore into her, soft and worried as he continued to breathe. Athena stared back, not breaking the contact as she focused on mimicking her boss. His grip on her hand was gentle but provided enough contact to keep her present.