Chapter 57: The Sword in the Stone Part Two

Anne's POV

Southrons chase them through the woods. Gwen and Merlin each hold onto Anne as they run. Tristan supports Isolde as they go, and Arthur leads the way.

They are approaching the mouth of the Cave tunnels when Merlin turns to Anne and Gwen. "I'll cover our tracks, you keep going!" He insists. He turns to Gwen. "Help Anne, Gwen."

"Of course." Gwen nods, and she braces herself as Anne leans her entire weight on her shoulders.

Anne gives Merlin a quick peck and she and Gwen continue after Arthur, Tristan, and Isolde. They head into the Caves but then Anne holds her stomach as another contraction hits, and this one nearly brings her to her knees.

"Anne!" Gwen exclaims, grabbing Anne's arms and pulling her back up last second. "Are you alright?"

Anne sucks in deep and slow breaths. "I'm okay. I'll be fine."

"Your gown is wet." Gwen frowns, and Anne looks over at her slowly. Anne watches as the realisation hits Gwen, but Anne just lifts her chin and keeps going. Gwen struggles to catch up with her. "The baby's coming!" Gwen exclaims. "You must tell Merlin!"

"I can't." Anne insists. She checks to make sure that Arthur nor Tristan nor Isolde have heard them, but they are a fair distance away from them. "We've already got enough on our plates. Besides, Gauis says that first time mothers can be in labour for a long long time." Anne nods quickly and wipes the sweat from her brows. "That's what I'm counting on. A long long time."

"But Anne!" Gwen protests. "What if the baby were to come right now?! We must stop—"

"No!" Anne cuts in. "No stopping. We can't stop."

Gwen opens her mouth to protest, but she cuts herself off when they hear footsteps behind them. They turn their heads, but it is just Merlin carrying a lit torch.

"Why are you running so slow?" He asks. He doesn't wait for a reply and simply wraps his arm around Anne's back and practically lifts her as they run the rest of the way. Anne shoots Gwen a pleading look, pleading for her to keep her mouth shut, and thankfully she does.

"Did you lose them?" Arthur asks when they got close enough to him.

"It's safe." Merlin replies, letting go of Anne, who takes this chance to lean against the Cave wall and take a breather.

"You sure?"

"Do I look like an idiot?" Merlin remarks as he walks to the front of the group.

"Yes." Arthur automatically replies causing Anne to smile slightly.

"Doesn't change, does it?"

Arthur comes up to stand next to Merlin. "Which way now?" Merlin looks around uncertainly. Arthur sighs exasperatedly. "I thought you said you grew up in these tunnels."

"I did!" Merlin insists, but he bites his lip as he scans the area around him. "Just– it could be that way." He gestures to the left with his torch.

"Or it could be that way." Arthur says, gesturing the other way.

"Yes." Merlin acknowledges.

"That's very reassuring." Arthur rolls his eyes.

"Oi, you two." Anne interrupts, trying not to huff and puff because Merlin will know right away that she is in even more pain than before. "Make a decision. Today."

"Fine!" Merlin says, and they end up going left.

——

Arthur and Merlin lead their party through the Caves. Gwen holds onto Anne and, as a result, they trail behind in the group and end up walking beside Tristan.