Chapter 15: The Moment of Truth

Amelia's POV

Merlin's mother suddenly arrives in Camelot one day. Amelia knows what this means from her notes, this is the episode where they go to Merlin's Village to protect it.

Merlin had taken his mother to Arthur who had arranged an audience with his father so that she could ask him for help.

Soon enough Hunith stands in front of Uther and Arthur in the Throne room with the rest of them scattered around the room. Morgana, her, Gwen and Anne stand in a line on Hunith's right.

"The winters are harsh in Ealdor, and there are many children. Some of them just won't be strong enough to survive. We barely have enough food as it is, and if Kanen takes our harvest, our children won't live to see another summer. Please, we need your help." She begs.

"Ealdor's in Cenred's Kingdom. Your safety is his responsibility." Uther says from his seat.

"We've appealed to our King, but he cares little for the outlying regions. You're our only hope."

"I have the deepest sympathy for you," which means he probably doesn't, "and would have this barbarian wiped off the face of the earth."

"You'll help us?"

"I wish I could."

"Surely we can spare a few men?" Arthur asks from where he stands on Uther's left.

"Resources are not the problem."

"Then what is?" Morgana asks.

"Ealdor lies beyond the Ridge of Essetir. For an army of Camelot to enter it would be an act of war."

Hunith drops to her knees. "I know you're a good King, a caring man. I'm begging you, help us, please."

"The accord we've struck with Cenred was years in the making. I cannot risk hundreds of lives for the sake of one Village. I'm afraid Camelot cannot help." Morgana glares at Uther and escorts Hunith out. Amelia trails after them.

——

After learning Merlin is going to go home to help his mother, Amelia decides that he is not to go alone and recruits Morgana, Anne and Gwen as well in her plan to also go and help.

Her and Morgana walk towards Gwen's house where they know Merlin is along with Gwen and Anne, who are preparing the armour that they need. They are both dressed in trousers and corseted tunics.

Amelia hears Merlin say, "I won't be able to carry all that."

Amelia enters the house along with Morgana, "You won't have to. We're coming with you."

"What do you mean?" Merlin asks, looking at all of them in confusion.

"You're going to need all the help you can get. Anne and I can mend armour and sharpen swords." Gwen explains.

"And Amelia and I know how to fight," Morgana says.

"But y-y-you can't. I mean, why would you?"

"If it was the other way around, you'd help us," Anne says.

"You already have. You saved my life." Gwen says.

"And you helped us get the Druid boy out of Camelot." Amelia nods to Morgana and herself. "We owe it to you. All of us."

——

Soon enough Amelia is riding for Ealdor along with Merlin, Morgana, Gwen, Anne and Hunith. When night falls, they decide to make camp for the night.

Amelia falls asleep but is soon awakened by Merlin talking with his mother by the campfire. She can see that the others are still asleep.

"They shouldn't be here." She hears Hunith say. "Especially the Lady Morgana and the Lady Amelia. Aren't they the King's wards?" She does not turn over in the hope they will not notice she is awake.