Chapter 19: The Curse of Cornelius Sigan

A/N: Season 2!!

——

Amelia's POV

Everything is mostly back to normal but Amelia knows it won't for long. Soon she is getting even less sleep than she already is when Uther orders men to dig in the Caverns underneath the Castle to find some materials or whatever and it is disturbing everyone's sleep. Though Amelia, as well as Morgana, are used to a lack of sleep already so it really is not a massive disturbance to her already terrible sleep schedule.

One night the banging finally ends and it is only the next day when she follows Merlin down to the Caverns, does she learn of what had caused her to finally have some hours of sleep.

The diggers had found a Tomb but one man suddenly slumped dead soon afterwards. Naturally, the rest freaked out and fled.

When she enters the Tomb, there is a man laid out by a raised coffin made from stone with an ornate monument of an unknown man lying on top with a large glowing blue gem in the middle of the chest. Amelia glances round the rest of the Tomb to see that whoever is buried here was very rich judging by all the riches that surrounds the edges of the room containing said person.

"How do you think he died? Gaius?" Merlin asks, crouching over the man who had died.

"Hmm?" Gaius asks, not paying attention. It is almost as if he is lost in thought.

"Do you know whose Tomb it is?" Merlin probes, standing up.

"Not sure," Gaius says but Amelia feels like he is lying about what he actually knows. She sees that he is staring at a stone crow, which seems to be staring at them. Amelia shakes her head realising how ridiculous she is being.

"Do you think it might be cursed?" The atmosphere seems to also be getting to Merlin.

"Finding out who's Tomb this is will help," Amelia says.

Gaius then steps on the stone slabs surrounding the base of the stone coffin, likely to have a closer look. A dart shoots out of one of the stone crows at Gaius. Merlin magics a plate between the dart and Gaius just in time as the dart hits the plate.

Gaius gapes in surprise before turning to Merlin. "You just saved my life. Thank you."

"Are you alright?" Amelia asks Gaius who nods.

She then hears Uther as does Merlin as he drops the plate as it had still been hovering in mid air. It rolls towards the entrance as Uther enters talking to Arthur, who is behind him. "...guarded at all times." The plate stops at Uther's feet as does Merlin, who was following it. "Idiot."

Arthur turns to Merlin. "Were you born clumsy or do you work at it?"

"It's just one of my many gifts." Merlins answers.

"Well, this is quite a find. You see, Gaius, I was right." So that is why Uther thought it was a brilliant idea to keep everybody awake. "There is treasure to be found under Camelot. Which of my predecessors do I have to thank for all this?" Gaius does not respond, again distracted. "Gaius?"

"Uh, I'd have to look into it, Sire." This means he already knows but does not want to say till he is absolutely sure. This means he is clearly worried about what it means.

"How did he die?" Uther asks, now turning to the dead digger.

"He seems to have unwittingly triggered a trap here," Gaius answers, gesturing towards it.

"To deter grave robbers." Arthur guesses.

"Well, there's plenty in here people would want to steal." Uther turns to Arthur. "Have them secure the Tomb. Guarding it is your responsibility, Arthur."