Chapter 51: The Secret Sharer

Amelia's POV

It's a busy day today and Amelia and Merlin take it upon themselves to charge into Arthur's rooms. The King is, of course, still asleep in bed.

Merlin opens Arthur's curtains, letting the light in. "Up you get!" He calls.

"What for?" Arthur groans, waking.

"A bath."

"Where's breakfast?"

"Say, 'Ah.'"

"Ah?" Merlin stuffs a roll in Arthur's mouth. "Merlin!" Comes the muffled cry before Arthur pulls the roll out of his mouth, spitting the crumbs out of his mouth.

Amelia saunters over to Arthur's desk with some documents. "Right, you need to set aside some practice time."

"Ah, wonderful. What for? Quarterstaff? Battle axe?" Arthur asks as he rolls over, lifting his upper body and resting it on his elbows.

"For your speech."

"Who to?"

"The Guild of Harness Polishers." Amelia gives him a look that indicates that she thinks he's an idiot for not knowing.

"The guild of who? I don't know anything about polishing." Arthur wines.

Amelia waves him off. "Doesn't matter because fortunately Merlin does."

Merlin holds up a really long scroll with a grin.

Arthur looks on in horror. "That'll take hours to learn."

Amelia points her pen at Arthur, grinning, unperturbed by his grumpiness. "You don't have hours." She turns back to the list in front of her. "First, you have to receive Odin's envoy."

"Do I have to give a speech?"

"No. You have to listen to one." Amelia says with horror as well as barely hidden amusement.

Arthur rolls his eyes, but Amelia ignores him. "Then you need to inspect the Guards, perform a freeman's ceremony, oh... and to be a judge."

"Preside over a trial?"

Merlin leans over Amelia's shoulder. "Ooh! A garland competition!" He exclaims teasingly.

Arthur glares at the grinning duo. "You're enjoying this!"

Amelia rolls her eyes. "Getting your lazy backside up? Yes, it's the highlight of my day."

Arthur rolls his eyes again and flops his head back on his pillow. "I never get any time to myself!" Arthur curls back into his covers.

Merlin rolls his eyes. "I know, it's almost like having to work."

Arthur doesn't move.

Amelia purses her lips. "Right, you asked for it." She turns to Merlin, gesturing to their oh-so-gracious King. "Merlin, get him up."

Merlin goes over to the bed and grabs Arthur, trying to drag him out of bed. Arthur struggles to stay under the covers. Amelia casually watches, arms crossed.

"No, come on. No, out of bed." Merlin says.

Arthur makes an odd squeal as Merlin forces him out of bed along with all his covers. Always the same.

"You're doing very well, Arthur." Merlin remarks to Arthur who's splayed out on the floor.

"I don't think so." Arthur grumbles.

Merlin fetches Arthur's shirt. "Everyone's saying it."

"I'm glad your friends at the Tavern approve." Arthur retorts.