Chapter 30: The Fires of Idirsholas

Amelia's POV

Arthur and Merlin leave Camelot with a bunch of Knights to go search Idirsholas after smoke was seen rising from the Citadel, a Citadel that hasn't been entered in 300 years. Considering the legend is that when the fires of Idirsholas burn, the Knights of Medhir will ride again, it's a cause for worry.

Morgana had found a little box on her window ledge, with a note placed inside to which she shows Amelia as it is addressed to the two of them. Amelia quickly reads it when given to her.

"My dearest Morgana and Amelia, Meet me tonight after sundown in the woods outside the Castle gates. I will wait for you both by the marked and distinctive oak trees. Until then, keep well."

"Who do you think this is?" Amelia asks Morgana.

"I do not know but perhaps we should have a look?" The woman suggests.

"But this could be anyone! We do not know if this is safe!" Amelia argues. The "My dearest" might imply well but they have no idea if this is a trap or not.

"But it could be important. We have to take this chance!" Morgana insists.

"Fine, I'm going but only to keep an eye on you," Amelia replies. Morgana sends her an amused smirk.

——

Amelia and Morgana sneak out of the Castle at night to meet the mysterious stranger in the woods. They reach the spot, look around and it is only when Amelia turns around does she see Morgause standing there. Amelia relaxes at the sight of her other sister despite not knowing her well.

"Morgause," She breathes.

"You both look well," Morgause says with a smile, walking over to them and taking one hand from both of them to hold in hers.

Amelia smiles at her. "Thanks to you." She touches the enchanted bracelet Morgause gave her and sees Morgana do the same for her own. Amelia feels incredibly grateful to Morgause. "We wear them all the time. We can't remember when we last had a bad dream."

"Neither of you seem happy. Why is that?" Morgause questions concerned.

"I would be if we didn't have to pretend," Morgana replies.

"Pretend?"

"That I'm Uther's loving ward when I hate him," Morgana says, her tone full of venom. While Amelia agrees with her, the amount of hatred in Morgana's tone shocks her.

"What about you Amelia?" Morgause asks worriedly.

"His actions have been despicable," Amelia replies. She doesn't respond with the same strength as Morgana as she is still curious about what Morgause has to say.

Morgause walks around them, causing the two of them to turn. "Have you ever imagined a new world, Morgana, Amelia? One where Uther was no more?"

"Sometimes," Amelia replies. Of course she had but she's unsure because of all she has done with Merlin and Anne, keeping Uther alive until Arthur is ready, which isn't yet despite her anger at Uther.

"And is that what both of you would like?"

"I once had the chance to be his assassin," Morgana admits instead. Amelia feels the anger build up inside her because of the memory of Gwen's father's murder.

"And what stopped you?" Morgause asks curiously.

"I don't know. I believe he cared for me. But not anymore. He cares for no one."

"So, you want Uther destroyed and his reign to end?"

"Perhaps," Amelia replies. The whole conversation is making her nervous. "But it doesn't matter what we want. The future's not of our making." She is trying to waylay Morgause a bit.