Chapter 21: The Nightmare Begins

A/N: I was nervous about writing this as I felt like it was one of those important episodes, I hope it went well.

——

Anne's POV

Anne is beginning to feel that this is the beginning of... well something.

Things have been restless recently as it seems that Morgana and Amelia's magical powers are beginning to flourish. The fact that they have magic or the potential means that their close position to the King makes them vulnerable. She does not want them to suffer from not knowing what is happening to them and who they are but she is still afraid. Afraid of what this all means.

It all began with a thunderstorm one night. Amelia and Morgana often cannot sleep because of their visions but the storm seems to make it worse.

Anne had gone to Amelia's Chambers to bring more blankets, she knows Gwen is doing a similar thing for Morgana.

Anne walks in noticing some light coming from the room and begins to talk as she enters as she believes Amelia is awake.

"I brought you some extra blankets, I thought you might be cold..." She trails off as she notices that Amelia is still asleep, albeit restlessly.

Anne puts down the blankets and blows out the candle and puts it by the window. She had begun walking back to her small Chamber that she sometimes sleeps in near Amelia's Chambers when she suddenly hears two screams and windows splintering.

She runs back to Amelia's Chambers bursting in and she sees a hyperventilating Amelia staring at her curtains, which are on fire, next to a blown out window. Guards rush past her and they begin dowsing the fire the best they can. Anne rushes over to Amelia and wraps her in a blanket and pulls her from the room.

Anne learns the next morning that a similar fire had happened in Morgana's Chambers and Gwen reports a similar instance with blowing out a candle then placing it by the window yet the curtains still caught fire. Anne knows from this moment that the two women's powers are coming into fruition.

——

The next morning, Anne and Gwen receive a grilling from Uther in Morgana's Chambers as Merlin walks around cleaning up the burnt fragments and glass. Anne knows that cleaning up is also happening in Amelia's Chambers.

"I came back in with some extra blankets. There was a candle, but I put it out." Gwen explains. Her eyebrows are creased up as if she cannot logically understand how this had happened.

"Same with me, My Lord," Anne says.

"Are you sure?" Uther asks doubtfully.

"We blew out both candles in each room, we swear," Anne speaks.

"Anne and Gwen have been Morgana's and Amelia's servants for years. If they said they blew them out, I believe them." Gwen sends Arthur a small smile and this causes Anne to try and control herself from squealing.

Uther moves to the window to stare at the blown out window and burnt curtains. Anne chews her lip as she is hoping that Uther does not notice anything odd, as in magical.

"They could've been burnt alive," Uther murmurs.

"Lightning struck the Castle roof last night, that could've started the fires." Anne prays that Uther listens to Arthur.

"Perhaps," Uther murmurs again.

"What other explanation is there?"

"Someone started the fire deliberately." Oh no. Anne's eyes flicker to Merlin, their eyes catching, and they share a worried look.