Chapter 18: Le Morte d'Arthur

Amelia's POV

One night Amelia sneaks into the corner of the Council Chambers out of sight. She had seen Arthur, Merlin and some Knights rushing back into the Castle after a hunt, carrying a body with distraught looks on their faces.

She hides behind one of the columns in the corner and listens as Arthur describes a beast that they had been confronted with. It had the strong body of a leopard and the fearsome head of a snake. Amelia knows that this is the next episode from her notes.

After Arthur finishes, Gaius confirms her thoughts, "The creature you describe has all the characteristics of the Questing Beast."

"Surely that's a myth," Arthur says.

"According to the old books, the appearance of the Questing Beast is supposed to foreshadow a time of great upheaval." Gaius continues undeterred.

"Gaius, it's an old wives' tale," Uther says. Again with not listening to Gaius.

"Look, whatever it is, it's spreading panic. The people fear it will enter the City." Arthur mediates.

"Then we must kill it. Arthur, gather the Guard together. You ride at dawn." Everyone, except Uther and Gaius, leave the room.

"I beg you, Sire, do not dismiss this. The beast is an omen. I've seen it come before, the night your wife Ygraine passed away." Gaius pleads.

"I've told you not to speak of that night again. I have conquered the Old Religion. Its warnings mean nothing to me now. Arthur will destroy the beast and we will no longer suffer at its hand." You should not be so sure Uther.

——

That night, Amelia's dreams are not pleasant. She sees flashes of images. It is of Kilgharrah flaming before it becomes Merlin yelling "NO!" then Arthur and Merlin running in the woods, Arthur lying sick in bed, and the Questing Beast, just like Arthur had described.

She bolts up in bed screaming.

Faintly she hears someone calling her name but she does not respond as she is still trapped in the terror of her dream.

"Amelia? Amelia?! Wake up."

Someone then grabs her arms and she struggles against them but as she does, the voice breaks through.

"Wake up, it's me! It's Anne! Stop it! It was just another dream." She realises it is just Anne trying to calm her. Anne's face is in front of her, hands stroke her face.

"It was terrifying," Amelia says.

"Oh, it's going to be alright." Anne hugs her.

——

Amelia gets very little sleep that night. When she is asleep she would have the same dream and when she is awake the images of the dream kept flashing through her mind. She still feels hysterical from her dream by the time dawn breaks.

She hears voices in the Square and sees Arthur speaking to his Knights in the Square. She immediately rushes from her Chambers, still in her nightgown, to the Square in the desperate hope she can stop him. It is one thing to read in your notes that Arthur is going to be harmed but to see it in her dream and knowing that not everything is set in stone so he can still die, makes her panic.

"For the love of Camelot!" Arthur cries.

"For the love of Camelot!" The Knights reverberate.

Amelia bursts through the door of the Castle and runs down the steps to where Arthur and Merlin stand with the Knights in front of them.