Chapter 56: The Sword in the Stone Part One

Amelia's POV

Percival and Amelia are finally getting married. It's also the Feast of Beltane. Amelia liked the idea that they would merge this feast with her wedding feast.

Anne lounges uncomfortably in one of the chairs in Amelia's Chambers as Amelia stands in the centre of the room as one of the maids, Jean, flitters about her, making the final adjustments to Amelia's dress. Anne would normally have helped but she is so close to term, it would have been too much. The only way they could all get Anne to not go into a strop over it was if she would be there to preside over Amelia getting ready from a chair.

Amelia has kept her look simple. Her brown hair is kept loose, flowing down her back, and she wears a crown of flowers. The cream coloured dress has a wide neckline, and the wide, flowing sleeves are almost hanging off her shoulders. The lacy fabric brushes along the floor as she walks. It's finished with a belt made of the same fabric loosely tied around her waist.

Amelia is the happiest she's been in a while. The only let down is how she had always imagined there'd be more people here with her such as Morgana and Gwen, even Helen, her adoptive mother.

"Perhaps straighten that sleeve would you Jean?" Anne orders. Jean hurriedly moves to do just that. The poor girl's nerves are at the end of her tether since Anne has been barking and snapping at her frequently.

Amelia raises an eyebrow at Anne, who just shrugs. Amelia then feels bile come up her throat and she abruptly slaps her hand over her mouth. Please not now of all times.

"My Lady?" Jean questions worriedly. Amelia looks away from Anne's pointed look.

Amelia swallows heavily. "I'm fine, Jean. Thank you for your help." The maid nods and leaves the room.

Anne watches her leave before turning to Amelia. "When are you going to tell him?"

Amelia sighs. "Soon. I promise."

——

The wedding is a grand affair with many guests. Amelia and Percival, like Anne and Merlin, had chosen to get married in the Chapel rather than the Throne room. It is beautifully decorated.

Amelia beams as she gazes upon her fiancé as she walks down the aisle, carrying a bouquet of tiger lilies. Percival waits, dressed in his finest clothes.

Geoffrey of Monmouth presides over the ceremony. It goes off without a hitch. Amelia is almost tearful as she and Percival exchange their vows and rings.

"By the sacred powers vested in me, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Amelia and Percival kiss. They grin as they kiss due to the whoops and cheers of all their friends. It is almost perfect. The only thing that would make it better is if Morgana and Gwen were with them, like in the old days. Though Agravaine not being in attendance does help.

——

It's time for the joint feasts and everyone begins to take their seats.

"Have you seen Agravaine?" Arthur asks Gaius as they walk towards their seats.

"Er, no, sire. Not since this morning." Gaius replies.

"Strange. He should be here by now."

Amelia frowns. She thought so as well. While Amelia had gotten Arthur to make sure Agravaine doesn't attend her wedding (he's been almost bending over backwards to please her), she had relented and accepted his presence for the feast.

Arthur sits at the head table with Amelia then Percival on his right and Gaius on the left. Anne sits at the top of the table on Amelia's right. Merlin arrives with a heaping plate of food and places it in front of Arthur. Other servants walk forward with Gaius, Amelia, and Percival's meals.