Chapter 24: Beauty and the Beast Part Two

Amelia's POV

The Troll soon delivers its next blow by accusing Merlin of stealing Catrina's seal. Hypocrite considering it stole it first.

Amelia learns about it when Sir Leon bursts into her Chambers where she is with Anne, Morgana and Gwen.

"Sir Leon?!" She exclaims.

"Sorry My Lady," Leon says. "I am looking for Merlin." Wait, what?

"Why? And why would he be in here?" Morgana questions.

"The new Queen has accused him of stealing her seal. I have also been ordered to search the whole Castle, My Lady."

"Well, I suppose we cannot fault you for that," Amelia replies trying to cover her worry. "I can tell you he is not in here. Good luck with your search."

"Thank you, My Lady." With that Sir Leon leaves. The four of them look at each other in alarm.

"What if something happens to him?" Anne murmurs sounding close to tears.

Gwen puts a hand on her arm. "I'm sure he'll be fine."

"Yes knowing Merlin, he'll somehow slip away," Amelia adds. They all share a chuckle at that.

——

Amelia and Anne hurry to Gaius' Chambers after the visit from Sir Leon as well as hearing that Guards are closing on his trail in the forest. Amelia can't find anything in her notes about what happens to Merlin here so she still worries.

They burst into Gaius' Chambers to find a Merlin standing in there with the man they were looking for. Both men jump but relax when they see it's only Amelia and Anne.

"Merlin!" Anne exclaims, rushing over to him and wrapping him in a hug. Merlin just stands there blinking in surprise.

Anne then seems to realise what she had just done and pulls back quickly, coughing awkwardly. "Eh... um... it's good to see you are alright."

"Uh thank you." Merlin mumbles. Amelia and Gaius share an amused look. It seems Gaius can also see there is something between the two of them.

Amelia then decides to walk over to Merlin and slap him on the arm.

"Ow!" He exclaims. "What was that for?!"

"For worrying us." She tells him.

"Not my fault!" Merlin complains.

"Still."

Gaius huffs, "Anyway... they picked up the trail that we left, but it won't fool them for long."

"Oh, you meant to do that?" Anne asks.

"Yes but now I better get busy," Merlin says walking to the door.

"I'm coming with you." Anne declares. "No one would suspect anything if they see me."

Amelia nods. "Okay." Her notes said that the Troll takes a potion to keep up the pretence so maybe this is when they get it.

Gaius stops them before the two leave. "And Merlin, be careful. The Guards are still searching for you." Gaius warns.

——

Anne's POV

They peek around a corner from behind the Troll to see her go inside as she scratches her arm irritably. Once she is inside, Merlin and Anne stand on a wooden box to spy on her through a grate in the wall.

"Mistress, it is time," Jonas says as the Troll is bending over the table retching. Jonas then goes to the cupboard.

"Do I have to?" The Troll whines.