CHAPTER 13a - Submission pt.2

Start from the beginning

"Maybe, he would like me more if I become a restorer like him."

"Hey!" Lora interrupted sternly. This was getting out of hand. "You have plenty of time to decide what you want to be when you grow up but whatever that is, it will be something that you want. Not your dad, not me, not anyone. Okay?"

Aiden nodded, but being the overthinker that he was, Lora knew he was not convinced.

"Mama, do you think Owie will take us to that place again?" Siena asked her blue eyes round with hope and wonder.

Lora smiled warmly at her and tucked her in. "You just want another piggyback ride, don't you?"

"No, Mama," Aiden pitched in. "Siena has a crush!"

Siena blushed profusely and bolted up straight. "I do NOT! Shut UP!" she screamed, throwing her pillow at him.

Lora was not really enjoying the scene in front of her but in the end, a small chuckle escaped her lips as their interaction developed into a full-blown pillow fight. It didn't hide the sorrow in her eyes or ease the heaviness in her chest. She knew it. The walls knew it. She kept her eyes lowered so they don't accidentally meet the framed Sacred Heart watching over Aiden's and Siena's bed, because deep down she knew that even though she had not yet spoken to him about it, Jesus knew it too.

#

Owen was leaning casually against the front door as she made her way down the stairs. He looked calm, peaceful, beautiful. His eyes lifted slowly and he watched her shamelessly as she walked towards him. His burning gaze was enough to make her yearn for him and she felt the magnitude of her situation drop in her stomach like a large, lead ball.

She had finally made up her mind about facing him and telling him yesterday was a big mistake. A sin they had to atone for. Her son was asking for him, looking up to him and seeking his approval. Her daughter was asking for him, admiring him in her own way. She had to put her feelings aside and do the right thing. And yet, even though she left a torturous distance between them, she could feel her resolve melting away like candle wax as her gaze locked with his.

"We need to talk."

Owen took a step closer but kept his hands in his pockets, touching her only with his eyes. "For a moment there, I thought you didn't want to talk to me. I was surprised when I got your text after you avoided me all day."

His words cut deep. She was cowardly and he had every reason to call her out for it. "I'm sorry, I just... What was I supposed to do?"

"Talk to me. Take my call. At least text me back so I know you don't hate my guts?"

Lora's leg began to twitch nervously. Her nails immediately shot up to her mouth. "I don't. You know I don't. I'm sorry."

"Will you stop saying that?" Owen huffed rolling his eyes at her.

"What do you want me to say?" she pleaded. Her eyes finally lit up with life and colour rose to her cheeks.

"How about you say what's really on your mind, Lora?"

She flushed red and dropped her gaze to the floor. "I can't do that."

Owen exhaled and grinned at her words. It was infectious, his relief, his mischief, and Lora found herself smiling back before she shook her head.

"Nothing has changed, Owen," she told him in a small voice. "What we did was wrong. I'm still married. I have four kids to think about."

Owen took another step towards her and this time, he gave in to his urge to touch her. He cupped her cheek, thumb gently caressing her skin.

"I'm not crazy, Lora," he assured her in his low tone. "I won't do anything that will affect them."

"It's too late for that! I'm certain Jess and Krista suspect something already. Siena thinks you're the world's most handsome rollercoaster and Aiden wants to be a doctor, just like you."

"Really?" Owen's face lit up.

"It's not a good thing, Owen! I don't know what to do."

A hint of concern rose to his eyes. His lips pressed together as he pulled Lora into his chest.

"I know. We'll figure it out," he soothed, running his hand up and down Lora's spine. She succumbed to him like gravity and wrapped her arms around him. She basked in his warmth, allowing it to build her back up.

"How?" she sniffled.

"I don't know. But nothing has changed for me either. I still want you. I still miss you. I still can't get you out of my head. If anything, I just want you more."

Lora pulled away from him and looked at him calculatingly.

"What you said today, about the rehab centre," she started cautiously. "Did you mean it or was it just for me?"

"I'd never let anything interfere-"

"Oh, spare me, Owen! Do you think he can do it or not?" she cut in impatiently.

"No," he admitted after a short pause. "But I think he deserves a chance."

She knew he was being honest and she appreciated him all the more for it.

"Thank you." Lora mulled over her thoughts before finally blurting out, "What's her name?"

Owen furrowed his brows together, confusion taking over his features. "Who?"

"Your wife."

"What? Where is this coming from?"

"You know my husband's name. Why can't I know your wife's?" Lora demanded. But then she sighed resignedly, knowing she was acting childish. "I just... I feel like I don't know anything about you sometimes."

Owen's lopsided, dimpled smile appeared on his mouth but the sarcasm in his voice when he next spoke was hard to miss. "So, you feel like you don't know anything about me and that is what you ask? Carla. And she's my ex-wife."

"You're only separated," Lora corrected. "You're still married. Call it what you want, Owen, but the fact is she is still your wife."

Lora wasn't being mean or difficult. She was merely laying out the truth as it were. She could feel herself coming to terms with what she'd gotten herself into. Her racing heart was slowing, her lungs were catching up. She knew she had gone too far but she also knew there was no way she could swim back to the shallow end on her own. She was Mary Magdalene waiting for everyone to throw stones, knowing she deserved it and unable to change her circumstance.

But the stones didn't come. Instead, she received Owen's soft gaze and his chocolaty voice and she knew there was no way she could redeem herself if he was the sin she had to forsake.

"I don't know about you," Owen said softly, interrupting her dark thoughts, "but the only fact I care about right now is how much I want to be with you."

"Owen..."

"Lora."

She smiled at his impertinence and shook her head at his determination.

"You want to know more about me?" he continued. "I like travelling. I like mystery books. I like gourmet food and expensive wine and you."

Lora felt the warmth in her heart spread across her whole body. He was close to her again, their pull bringing them closer to each other with every passing second.

"I know all that already. Except for the books. I didn't pick you out for someone who likes fiction."

He smiled again and her breath hitched. "Everyone likes fiction, Lora. But I like it where it belongs. In books. Everything else is real."

Lora sighed. The irony of his words was not lost on her. Only now, she did not know what was real and what wasn't.

"Yesterday was real. This is real. And I know this isn't as straightforward as we'd like but the truth is that with or without all these complications, I just want to see you smile and mean it! Like you did yesterday. God! You are breathtaking when you are carefree and happy! I want to ease your burdens and prove to you that there is more to life than what you're limiting yourself to. You're worth so much more, Lora. If only you'd let me show you."