Chapter 12 - Study Buddies

Start from the beginning

"Why is that problematic?" The man asked.

"The woman is Black."

The man gasped, realization dawning upon him.

"This revelation could shatter his chances of becoming Senator. I need you to find out who this woman is. There's more to the task, but for now, I must know her identity," the person explained, their voice tinged with urgency.

"You know, this situation might not be entirely negative," the man suggested, considering the possibilities.

"How so?" the person inquired.

"He could use the child as leverage, appealing to the black voters," the man mused.

"But in doing so, he risks losing favorability with the white voters, who represent 67% of the electorate. He cannot afford to alienate them," the person countered.

The man nodded in understanding. "And what do I gain from assisting you?" he asked, his gaze filled with longing.

"Whatever your asking price, I can match it." the person assured him.

"You know what I desire."

A gasp escaped the person's lips, caught off guard by the proposal. "I can't...," they began to protest.

The man stepped forward with determination, locking lips with the person in a tender yet fervent kiss.

-----

"Dad, I know it's been three weeks," Mckayla spoke into her phone, the frustration evident in her voice. "No, I have not told him," she responded to a barrage of shouting on the other end. Dressed in gray sweats with glasses perched on her eyes and her hair pulled back into an Afro puff, Mckayla looked like a typical college student, worn out from spending hours studying for final exams. "Dad, you are stressing me out. It's finals week."

As the phone conversation continued, the doorbell rang, interrupting the heated exchange. "Dad, hold on a second; someone is at the door," Mckayla said, trying to catch her breath. She approached the door, and to her surprise, Michael stood with two bags and his laptop, dressed in a suit.

Mckayla gestured for Michael to wait as she returned to the phone call. "Dad, can you give me until the end of winter break? I can't do it right now. I have finals and semester assignments to deal with," she pleaded, her voice filled with desperation.

Her dad's response was inaudible, but she persisted, "I know, I know. Trust me, okay?"

As the phone call ended, Mckayla turned to face Michael again. "What are you doing here?" she asked, taken aback by his unexpected visit.

"Jenelle called me and said you needed some stuff," Michael explained.

Mckayla couldn't help but wonder why Jenelle kept involving him. "Oh, it's okay; I don't need those things anymore," she replied, dismissing the idea.

"Are you sure?" Michael asked. Mckayla nodded her head, about to close the door.

But Michael wasn't ready to leave just yet. "I also brought food and chocolate cake with rum raisin ice cream," he said with a playful smile. Mckayla's stomach growled at the mention of food, and she hesitated momentarily.

"Fine, but I'm studying, please do not disturb me," she said, opening the door wider to let him in.

As Michael entered the house, he saw books and journal papers scattered over the floor and coffee table. Removing his shoes, he found a spot on the floor near the coffee table to settle down.

Mckayla returned from the kitchen with plates and utensils, ready to indulge in much-needed comfort food and unexpected company.

As the hours passed, Mckayla and Michael sat together on the floor, surrounded by scattered study materials and empty plates. Mckayla glanced at Michael, and it dawned on her that he was wearing a suit. "Why do you have a suit on?" she inquired, genuinely curious.