TWENTY-THREE

Beyoncé Giselle.

"Why aren't you eating your ice cream?" I asked Solange and she shrugged looking down at it. "You can tell me anything Solange, you know that right?"

"Mhm." She nodded.

"So tell me what's going on, are they doing anything to you? I swear to-"

"No they aren't, it's just kids at my school."

"What happened?"

"I sit at this table with these kids, I asked why I couldn't have a boyfriend and this boy said I if I lost weight boys will start looking at me but then another one said I needed more ass and boobs, why don't I look like everyone else Bey? All the other girls around my age have bodies and I bet they would drool over your girlfriend, she has a big ass and big boobs."

"Solange look at me." She looked up slowly. "Those boys who are talking about your appearance likely have bird chest and are skinny as fuck, they won't be able to control any of that shit they're talking about." She probably didn't know what I meant by control 'cause she's too young.

"I know but their words really affected me, it's got me questioning if everyone else sees me that way."

"You're in middle school, the girls with the grown women bodies just hit puberty faster than others, I used to be just as small as you." I ain't have no tittes or ass.

"I know."

"So stop tryna compare yourself to others, remember you're young, black, and beautiful, that's rare as hell, don't let nobody change the way you see yourself." I feel so bad.

"Mmkay." She nodded.

"Now eat your Ice cream, I spent too much money on that." I pointed at it before eating mine, she laughed and started to lick it, I had a banana split while she got a huge ass cone. "How's home been?"

"The same, ignored until they want me to do something." I hate how we grew up like that, they don't care unless they want something or some other stuff that I rather not discuss.

"What do you wanna do after this?"

"I don't know, go to the mall?"

"As long as I'm getting auntie Annie's I'm cool with it." I shrugged.

When we were finished we went to the mall and I bought her every possible thing I could but made her carry it, the stuff I bought for me, Onika, or Kelly is what I kept in my hand, I bought me and Onika matching hoodies and then some perfume I wear so she can keep it, a lot of my clothes have turned up missing and she ends up wearing them the next day.

"Bey my feet hurttt!" Solange whined and I rolled my eyes paying for the lemonade and cinnamon pretzel bites.

"You wanna go home or watch a movie?" I asked her.

"Home, I wanna go to sleep."

"Lameee." I blew raspberries, she rolled her eyes ignoring me.

We walked back to the car and she swore we was walking to Timbuktu or something.

"Come on, with your lazy ass." I got in the car, she took my phone and played some of her trash ass music.

"Ooo girlfriend texted you."

"What'd she say?"

"She said, are you coming over tonight, question mark, question mark, upside down smiling face." She was doing too much, she could've read that like a normal person.

"Say yes I am."

"How about I call her." Before I could say anything Solange called her.

"Heyyy babe." Solange tried mocking my voice, it was actually good but I still didn't sound like that.