Act XV: One Hell Of A Throw

Y/N P.O.V

"How long will you be gone?" Asked Lady Narberal.

"Shouldn't be longer than a day," Lady Entoma answered cheerily. "Lord Ainz has predicted the battle should last no longer than that. I trust him completely!"

Lady Narberal nodded, unsheathing her genuine smile in my presence for the first time ever. It was quite the spectacle and I'm sure I would've found it even more wondrous if it had been directed at me.

"As do I," Lady Narberal agreed, her tone adamant. "I'm glad then. I hear those swamps are an awfully dirty place riddled with insects. Some even more foul than the human-kind. The stench is appalling, as well... for both things."

She spoke those last three words with greater volume, which made me certain that she had indeed intended for me to hear her.

I rolled my eyes and continued on, dusting the sofa cushions with my tail. I had crafted a makeshift duster by glueing a bunch of feathers to a long sock (of which was purchased from my own pocket, because of course it was). I slid the sock onto my tail and voilà! Now I was able to dust without having to dirty myself in the process.

I had constructed this device to assist in my cleaning for this day only. Lady Albedo had asked me to clean and tend to her office chambers earlier than I usually did and so I was making great haste to keep my word without sacrificing the quality of my work... which was sooooo difficult, especially when I had Lady Narberal and Lady Lupusregina eyeing me from their table every few minutes to ensure I wasn't misbehaving or eavesdropping.

Forgive me, my ladies, but you flatter yourselves! None of you are interesting enough for me to even consider eavesdropping!

It was only Lady Lupusregina, Lady Narberal, and Lady Entoma present. Yuri was out and about doing whatever classified assignments Lord Ainz had tasked her with and Solution was making preparations to depart back to E-Rantel to continue gathering information whilst posing as a human noblewoman. As for Lady CZ... well, I hadn't the faintest clue where she was. She was the Pleiade I knew the least about as she and I hardly ever worked together.

From what Yuri has told me though, she's actually one of the kinder amongst her other sisters. She hasn't anything against humans but she didn't really consider them significant or worth her attention. Yuri said I had a chance to win her favor provided I could arouse her intrigue.

... She then advised me that many women in romantic relationships with men hate nothing more than to see the man they cherish try to woo another woman.

Needless to say: her less than subtle way of demanding my loyalty and devotion got through to me, loud and clear. Still, while I wasn't at all interested in Lady CZ like I was Yuri and Solution, it would be nice to be on relatively friendly terms.

For once, I was quite stumped on how I could enter the friend-zone and stay there. Alas, that was a problem for another day. There were far more pressing matters to attend to.

Lady Albedo, for starters.

The hour was almost up and when it was; I had to be in Lady Albedo's office so I could tend to it. I doubted an excuse of any kind would quell her angry should I be tardy so I made haste to finish dusting.

"Lady Narberal! I've finished cleaning for the day," I announced. "May I head to Lady Albedo now?"

"Hm? Oh... yes, go on then," she murmured, not even turning her head to check my work before speaking. "Be on your best behavior, silkworm. Should I hear—!"

"You'll give me a fate worse than death—yadda, yadda, yadda! I got it, Lady Narberal! I'll be good," I assured with a confident smile and booming laugh. "See ya later, ladies! I'll be back before ya know it!"