Act XIV: A Fox's Way With Words

Y/N P.O.V

A lot had occurred in the time since Lady Shalltear's resurrection. Upon her return, Lord Ainz vowed to dedicate as much time and resources necessary to identify the assailants behind her brainwashing and to punish them properly.

I had expected as much. It was most apparent that the only things that the Overlord of Death cherished were his fellow Supreme Beings and the creations they left behind. If their memory or children were in jeopardy, I'm sure Lord Ainz would conjure hell itself to prevent any wrongdoing.

Through the grapevine was I able to learn just how low Lady Shalltear's reputation had tanked. I could hear whispers and snickers from the Homonculus Maids, some ridiculed her for falling prey to such a plot and most loathed her for filling Lord Ainz with stress and heartache.

I heard the worst of it from Lady Lupusregina, who found it both shameful and hilarious that the 'teeny vampire' could achieve such folly. I never dared laugh along, even if I did find some of her ridiculing amusing, as I feared Lady Shalltear overhearing me.

Though, it was unlikely she would as I've heard she now spent most of her free-time in Sir Sous-Chef's bar, drowning her sorrows and shame in alcohol. As she was an undead, I don't believe alcohol had any affect on her but I hadn't the nerve to question her on it.

One of the more eventful happenings was the beginning of the Great Tomb of Nazarick's first war. I had been informed by Yuri that Lord Ainz had set his eyes upon a tribe of Lizardmen in a nearby marsh and was bent on turning them all into undead minions.

Just another reminder that Lord Ainz was as cruel as he was merciful. As well as another reminder that I reeeeeeeally got off lucky thanks to my relationship with Yuri.

But, on a lighter note, I recently got somewhat of a promotion! Apparently, Lady Albedo has noticed my prowess when it comes to cleaning, organizing, and basic household chores and made an official request to make me her personal squire.

"Hello? Lady Albedo?" I cracked open the door and called in. "It's Y/N! I'm here to clean again!"

"Yes, come in." I entered upon hearing her angelic voice give her approval.

Just as I closed the door did Lady Albedo close the journal she had been writing in, letting out a stressful sigh just before corking her ink bottle. She had begun the process of cleaning up her workspace for the day as I began my own cleaning process.

It was strange. She only ever requested my services after her work day ended and she would only ever summon me to her office chambers. Her office was utterly spotless, there wasn't any reason for me to clean as try as I might I couldn't find a trace of dust.

But she insisted that I do what I was told and that was the end of it. I couldn't argue with the Grim Reaper, less I seek to feel the edge of her scythe. So I just dusted already cleaned surfaces and corners until she told me to depart.

It was even more strange that she asked me specifically to do anything for her. I would've thought with all her humans are the inferior race in every aspect talk would make her more inclined to choose one of the Homunculus Maids or one of the many grotesques at her disposal. But I was the unlucky chosen so there wasn't anything to be done but bow my head and go with it.

"How was your day today?" I heard Lady Albedo ask, though it took me a few moments to response as I was uncertain if she was speaking to me. "Well?"

"O-Oh! It was fine, My Lady!" I answered weakly. "Nothing out of the ordinary happened or anything worth mentioning, really. How about you? I hope your day wasn't stressful, at least."