Act VIII: Favorites

Solution P.O.V

I indulged in the baked treats upon the table, drinking Nazarick wine as I did so. The appliances and techniques of these humans are far too primitive to create anything that comes close to the chefs of Nazarick so I had these treats delivered by Lady Shalltear. She was kind enough to grant my request due to my support in her campaign to become Lord Ainz' Queen. A very small price to pay for these delights.

Though... a screaming human would be even better.

On the thought of screaming humans, another popped into my head.

Where in the hell was the fox? I wasn't eager at all to be in his presence but, usually, he found a means of attaching himself to my perimeter. His lack of clinginess was appreciated, but unusual. I hadn't exactly shown him around the manor nor did I assign him any bedchambers. So I assumed he had just found his own place to tear up and make his den.

I used the master bedroom for privacy, but never sleep. Nonetheless, should he have made the mistake of choosing my room to lay... he will not walk away unscathed.

Certainly, he would've smelled the baked goods from a mile away. I had actually prepared some rolled up parchment to strike him with should he dared to sneak even a crumb. But he hadn't shown his face once. When the sun was setting but an hour ago, I thought he would show himself to offer his services again. He was stupid, so I assumed all I had said earlier would be forgotten and he would offer his help once more. But the sun had long set and I've heard not so much as a footstep.

So where the hell was he?

I shook it off.

This time away from him should be indulged and appreciated. Lingering on his being or whereabouts was a waste and one I would no longer commit to. I enjoyed another bite-size brownie, sipped my wine, and resumed my novel. I had read less than a paragraph before I heard approaching steps. My eyes darted to the doorway, meeting gaze with Lord Sebas.

"Hm? Is something wrong, Solution? You seem... disappointed?" he questioned.

"I'm perfectly fine, Lord Sebas," I assured with a confident tone. "Was there something I can assist you with? Or did you want some of these treats as well?"

"They're all yours," he said with a faint smile. "I was only coming to check to see if Y/N had returned. I assumed he would've smelled the pastries and made haste here. I suppose he must not be back."

"He left? When? And to where?" I inquired.

"Not too long ago," he replied. "Perhaps an hour or two. There's little food here for him so I gifted him some bronze and silver so he could acquire some rations. He must be searching rather thoroughly. Then again: E-Rantel is quite new to him so I'm sure he's just exploring."

"And what if he tries to run? Nazarick could be--" he raised a hand and I silenced myself.

"Lord Ainz has already thought of such things. A shadow demon is monitoring him as we speak. Should he try and flee the city or speak of any undesirable things... he will be handled." he explained. "Though, from my conversations with both him and Yuri, I'm confident he would never think of doing anything so foolish. Rest assured."

His answer did little to satisfy me. I remained annoyed, stirring my wine with circling motions of my hand. Lord Sebas turned away, attempting to leave only to be stopped by my call.

"So you don't know where he is?"

He turned back, brow furrowed.

"No. But I'm sure he'll be back soon."