Act II: The Great Demon Fox

Yuri P.O.V

"I can smell bread up ahead!" Lupusregina commented.

"That must be him!" Entoma exclaimed.

"Enjoying his last meal... so sad." Solution grinned.

I clicked my tongue with a disapproving shake of the head.

"Lord Ainz has specifically instructed that the beastman be subdued, not eliminated." I stated firmly.

Solution's grin shifted into a pleasant smile.

"Only kidding." She giggled.

My sisters and I were strolling down a pathway through the forest. No, not a dirt-made path but a makeshift one of broken twigs and torn bushes. Perhaps a human with keen eyes could spot the path but none could smell the scent of the fox upon each glade of grass he touched like Lupusregina could.

Narberal was not present. She was aside Lord Ainz in the human settlement acting as the character Nabe. Lord Ainz was worried her, as well as Momon's, sudden absent might cause unrest. So they stayed behind to keep the peace whilst we handled the beast.

The forest itself was magically sealed. Escape via teleportation or physical strength would be impossible for the creature. Our 'activities' within the barrier were also sealed to the outside world. Hopefully, we could dial back in the damage to the area as to prevent unnecessary questions from the locals.

"He's not far ahead! I can practically hear his whimpers from here!" Lupusregina stated.

"Good, good," I said. "Myself and Entoma shall engage him directly in conversation. Acquire a lethal angle on him, Shizu, and the rest shall maneuver around the back. Pin him before he has the chance to flee."

"Understood." They said.

This brought a smile to my face. It was quite lovely to see all of my sisters in such perfect unity. I'm sure our creators would have been proud to see our capabilities.

Y/N P.O.V

I gathered everything from my 'vault' and stuffed it into a sack I had stolen from a human merchant weeks prior. My main basecamp had little rations as my scent was covered in it, leading lesser creatures with superior noses to sniff out my things. Thus, I had a vault in which I kept most of my supplies, food, and treasures in.

The vault was anything but.

It was a cave. It had been cleared of goblins by adventurers and upon my discovery of it, their bodies remained fresh. Thus... I strung them up outside, decorating the lawn with horrid displays of flesh and rot. The scent of blood and death repelled the lesser and intrigued the strong. But with moss and leaves shielding the tiny entrance, detection was impossible without magic.

I grabbed all the bronze and silver coins I could carry alongside some bread and minor magical items. All things supplied from the corpses of deceased adventurers or merchants. Water could be found anywhere nearby and easily purified with magic so it was unnecessary to bring any. And, of course, my most prized possession. A small golden locket decorated with sparkling emeralds. I locked it around my neck and made haste for the exit.

Death was looming over this forest. A chill so deadly went up my spine. I could feel it in my bones that the monstrosity Ainz Ooal Gown was not far behind me. The forest... I could hear nothing. The birds no longer chirped and the Autumn wind lost its howl.

A great power had entered the forest and all of its inhabitants knew it. Best to stay out of its way or risk its wrath.

My only chance to flee, if I still had one, was right now.