26

Ten days later

Hope's POV:

As the deliberations in court crumbled, the Judge decided to elevate the case to be presented in front of a jury. The date was set for a week from today, and over the past four weeks, we had dedicated ourselves to crafting a robust case. Christopher and Griffin joined our efforts three weeks ago, providing additional expertise.

The birth and marriage certificates had initially seemed like our safeguard against Rick gaining full custody. However, the fact that he held the title of "Head Alpha" added unprecedented complexity to the case. Our collective decision was to shield Elena from the legal turmoil. Still, I knew I needed a foolproof plan to keep her out of Rick's clutches, especially given his position as Head Alpha.

I was familiar with the Franks family's rise to power as the Head of the Alpha lineage, but the stories passed down were often incomplete or inaccurate. My father shared with me the version passed down to him, which dates back to my great-great-grandmother's time.

Decades ago, she was born into the same pack I belonged to, under a different Head Alpha named Edward Kane. A war ensued against a smaller bag that possessed unique magical qualities. Against all odds, this smaller pack emerged victorious, killing Edward Kane. Cristian Franks became the next Head Alpha, and the position has remained within the Franks family ever since. My great-great-grandmother's journal hinted at a mysterious magic and a unique connection within the small attacking pack. Granny Belle spoke of this magic, but my mother, who passed away before completing my training, never mentioned any spells. To unravel the truth, I needed access to the Franks family archive, a complicated task.

"She looks like Trisha," a voice interrupted my thoughts, causing me to freeze and tighten my grip on my coffee cup. The magic crackled between my fingers as memories of that slightly high-pitched voice flooded back—insults hurled at Trisha and me during our school days. I used my magic to sense potential threats, focusing on the person who spoke rather than the surrounding environment. My attention remained on Elena, playing on the local park swing set. Feeling cooped up in the pack lands, I had brought four warriors with me, subtly signalling them to stay alert while keeping their distance. The unsettling encounter prompted me to remain on high alert, my protective instincts heightened in the presence of potential danger.

"You are either brave or stupid," I said as I sipped my coffee. "You know what I am,"

"A mother, same as me," She said as she moved and sat beside me. I turned to look at her, the woman Rick chose over my best friend, his true mate. Cassidy had always been the 'it' girl with the perky boobs, flirty giggle and cheer captain. She had been Rick's arm candy since they were 13.

With a focused effort, I redirected my magic towards her, probing every inch of her being for any sign or explanation of her unexpected presence. Memories of her past behaviour flooded my mind—the relentless loyalty to Rick, the ruthlessness in dealing with perceived threats to his attention. She was never the nurturing type, relying on a legion of followers to carry out her malicious deeds. It was highly unusual for her to be personally involved in a situation like this.

As my magic delved deeper, a revelation emerged—her mate bond was broken. This was a significant shift, something she had strived for tirelessly over the years. It added a layer of complexity to the situation, leaving me grappling with the implications of her newfound independence. Her unexpected presence took on a different significance, and I remained vigilant, keenly aware that the dynamics at play were evolving in ways I hadn't anticipated.

"Well....well....well, I never expected that," I said as I stared at her. "Who broke it?"

"I did,"

"Why? You spent years crooning at his feet,"

"I had to protect my son. Rick became someone I did not know, and he became so obsessed with her," Cassidy said as she nudged her head towards Elena, who was playing on the slides.

"She has a name," I growled.

"All he saw was Elena, and he forgot about our children. We could have been happy, and my son would have been the next Head Alpha, but no, he had to go and fuck your best friend," Cassidy bitched.

"Listen here, bimbo Barbie," I growled at her as my magic whipped around her and held her in place before making her turn towards me. "you want the truth about Elena's conception? Because it will break your last bit of love for that ogre," Cassidy stared at me, shocked. My magic had strengthened since I mated with my true mate, and I never used it on people until now. There was nothing I would not do for my family. "Well?" I growled low, and after half a minute, she nodded.

"He raped her," Cassidy looked sick, and her eyes widened.

"You're lying,"

"You know, since mating with my true mate, my magic has strengthened, which means I have learnt a few new tricks," I said as I elongated the s. I touched Cassidy's forehead and showed her my memories of the night that Trisha came to my house after Rick attacked her. Cassidy's head snapped back, and then, with a deep breath, she returned from my memories. She looked at me as tears welled in her eyes, and she shook her head, not wanting to believe what she saw.

"And that was the night that Elena was conceived?"

"Yes," We sat silently for a moment and listened to the children laugh and play around us. "Why are you here, Cassidy?"

"All I wanted was Rick; ever since I met him, he was all I wanted, and I mated with him, had kids with him, and I was happy, but then all this happened, and now my children have no father. He chose his 'family legacy' and a child he never met over his children with me. My children deserve love and are chosen, so I chose them over Rick. I had never chosen anyone over Rick before." She rambled to me, and I told my magic to let her go. She slumped a little forward, looking defeated and broken. "Rick cares so much about the Franks remaining as Head Alphas that he will stop at nothing to get Elena, but..."

"But what?"

"His power, his strength...it's dwindling. He isn't as strong as he used to be, and I don't think he has been for years. He is still stronger than most Alphas, but do you remember his strength when we were teens? He isn't like that anymore."

"So, what? He thinks if he gets Elena, he will regain his strength."

"I think so," I thought about my ancestor's diary and how she spoke about the magical buzz around the Franks family.

"So, why are you here?"

"I had to see her, and..."

"And?"

"I want to hurt Rick. I want him to be as hurt as I am," I looked deep into her eyes to ensure she told me the truth. I could see pain, hurt, loss, conviction, and anger. "So, how can I help?"

"I need something," I told her. "I need you to return to the pack house and the archives. I need the diary of Cristian Franks and his son and their mates because I think the answer to both our issues is in them,"

"You won't kill Rick, will you?"

"Not unless I have to," I admitted. "I do not want to kill anyone. I want to protect my daughter and my mate," I said as I looked at Elena, who had just jumped off a swing mid-swing and laughed as she ran towards me. I hugged her to me, smelling her hair and kissing her forehead.

"Hello," She said with a smile as she looked at Cassidy.

"Hello," Cassidy replied.

"Are you ready to go home to Daddy, sweetheart?" I asked Elena, and she nodded at my question. "Okay, go over to Alastair, and I will meet you there in a moment; I just need to say goodbye and gather my things," Elena nodded at me before giving Cassidy a polite smile and running off towards her bodyguard, a warrior called Alastair.

"She calls your mate 'daddy'?" Cassidy asked, and I turned towards her.

"Yes, he is the only father she has ever known,"

"That would irk Rick,"

"Good," I replied. "Meet me back here in a week, regardless of whether you have the journals. Same time as well," I told her, and she nodded. "Good luck, Cassidy, and I am sorry you got hurt. I never meant for him to find out about Elena,"

"I know...thank you..." She gave me a weak smile, and then I left the park with my daughter.