19

Hope's POV:

"MUMMY!" Elena's scream pierced through the silence of the dimly lit hallway as she emerged from her bedroom, clad in her little pink PJs. Her lustrous dark hair cascaded in intricate plaits, framing her angelic face. A hint of moisture lingered in her tresses, evidence of the bath she had just taken before retiring for the night.

Bounding towards me with unabashed enthusiasm, she extended her arms wide, embracing me with the excitement of a constricting snake. Her slender arms wrapped around my neck while her petite feet hooked around my waist effortlessly. In an instant, she buried her face into the crook of my neck, her words of longing reaching my ears.

"Hey, baby girl, I missed you," I whispered, my fingers gently tracing circles on her back as I held her close. Inhaling her familiar scent, a balm for my aching heart, I realized how much I had yearned for her presence. The tension I hadn't even noticed began to dissipate; her warmth and affection were the soothing antidote.

Clutching my daughter tightly, I continued to breathe in her essence. It permeated my entire being, calming the raw nerves and unsettling emotions that had plagued me throughout what felt like the longest week of my life. This period of separation had been an unbearable ordeal, a departure from the norm. Since Elena's birth, I had never been apart from her for such an extended period.

Elena had become the nucleus of my world, the last tangible connection to my late best friend and wife, Trisha. My love for Jack surpassed anything I had ever felt for Trisha, yet the guilt lingered—guilt over losing Trisha so abruptly, guilt over not being there to save her. The echoes of that regret still reverberated, haunting me with the persistent belief that I could have held her had I been present.

"Are we going home?" Elena asked me, her eyes twinkling in happiness.

"Tomorrow, you need to go to bed, and I need some rest after the long drive."

"Okay, mummy, can you read to me?" Elena asked, and I nodded to her. Gently lowering her to the floor, I reluctantly released Elena's hand, but the need to maintain that connection led me to grasp it again. Obliging her request, I allowed her to guide me towards her room in her grandparents' home.

Entering her space, I was greeted by a room that exuded warmth and comfort. The medium-sized room boasted an extra-large twin bed adorned with a beautiful white canopy that hung gracefully above. The bedspread, a charming floral pattern, invited thoughts of cosiness. The walls wore a delicate blush hue, and a soft glow emanated from the elegant chandelier above. Essential furniture like a white chest of drawers, a wardrobe, and a makeup desk added character, with Elena's unmistakable pink suitcase resting nearby. Beneath my feet, the room's plush beige carpet provided a gentle cushion.

Reluctantly, Elena let go of my hand, and a pang of melancholy surged at the loss of her touch. Observing her dash towards a floating bookshelf on the wall, she retrieved a book on fairy tales and handed it to me. Without hesitation, she scampered into bed, radiating an expectant beam. Responding in kind, I returned her smile. The small bedside light flickered to life as Elena turned it on, casting a soft glow across the room. I dimmed the overhead light before settling at the base of her bed.

Once immersed in the enchanting world of fairy tales, Elena succumbed to the realm of dreams. Tucking her in, I kissed her lightly on her forehead, carefully stowing the book away and extinguishing the bedside light before leaving the room. Descending to the living room below, I found Jack's parents, Sandy and Daniel, reclining on the plush sofas, engaged in animated conversation. Their chatter ceased as I entered, all eyes following me as I sat in a free armchair, a mixture of relief and solitude settling over me.

"How is she?" Celeste asked me.

"Asleep; how has she been?"

"Amazing, it's been wonderful to have her here and get to know her. She is a bright child and so imaginative." Celeste said, pure delight beaming on her face.