8

A relentless internal debate unfolded as I lay in bed, fixated on the stark expanse of the ceiling. The notion of impulsively packing up the car, seizing Elena, and fleeing held a certain allure, a tempting escape from the looming threats of Jack and the potential revelation to Rick. However, the weight of the idea, the prospect of a perpetual life on the run, felt burdensome.

Watching the digital display on the alarm clock transition to 6:35 am, I grappled with conflicting thoughts that danced like shadows—the minutes stretched into what felt like hours, my consciousness wrestling with the decision to either embrace a fleeting impulse to run or entertain the notion of a simple day at the Zoo with Elena.

The pendulum of my thoughts swung between the fear of Rick uncovering the truth about Elena and the fragile Hope that Jack could offer protection. The mental gymnastics of contemplating a sudden departure and its logistical challenges groaned in my mind. Yet, beneath it all, a poignant ache settled in my heart, echoed by the mournful howl of my wolf, hinting at the complexity of the choices ahead.

'Don't you get involved,' I griped at her through our mental link.

'He is our mate; his wolf calls to mine,'

'Have you forgotten about Elena and what could happen if her father finds out about her?'' I felt my wolf's hackles rise, and she growled low in her throat. She was very protective of our daughter, just like me, but she seemed to have rolled over and shown her belly to Jack. She was ready to play happy family without considering how this could endanger Elena.

'Jack is an Alpha and could protect us,' She sounded like such a hopeless sap.

'You amaze me,' I groaned at her. 'On countless occasions, you watched the Luna of the various Alphas coming to meet with the Head Alpha. He always liked to size up each Alpha's power by being mated with their Lunas. He would want to meet me, and then he would know about Elena and Trisha,'

'We might not have to meet Rick,'

'You're delusional now. We need to protect Elena, and so Jack must be kept at arm's length,'

'You could just tell him the truth,'

'Oh, because that won't put a spotlight on Elena. If we told Jack the truth, he would try to go after Rick, which would result in his death and heartache for us as Jack would be gone and Rick would steal Elena,'

My wolf receded inside me, and I sighed as I decided to get up. I wasn't falling asleep, so I just exited my ensuite bathroom. I ran myself a hot bath with bubbles and melted into the water.

"I'm excited to see the Lions, bears, and snakes!" Elena squealed as she sat at the dining table eating her breakfast. She was dressed in jeans, a long-sleeved top, and her trainers, tapping against the chair leg as she swung her legs. She was so excited and practically leaping around. Once Jack arrived, she would put on her thin red jumper, laid out on the back of her chair and then put her coat on top.

Elena continued to prattle off the animals she was excited to see today and anything she knew about them. Elena loved animals, and I constantly wondered if she would go into veterinary science.

"Mama?" Elena asked, snapping me into the here and now.

"Hmm?"

"What's my new daddy's name?"

"The man from yesterday," I said, reiterating to her that he was not her new daddy without trying to crush her little heart. "His name is Jack, and he is a friend of Mama's,"

"But he kissed you; friends don't kiss. Only people who love each other do that,"

"Friends can kiss," I said casually.